#41 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:56 PM

Today I updated the homepage and itineraries for a potential Pittsburgh RailFest. The latter was brought up to date with current calling times for Port Authority light rail and inclines, and also updated for slight changes to the Pennsylvanian's schedule.

I feel a little better about someday soon going to Pittsburgh, now that they have smart card and smart ticket instruments. Without the existence of a Day Pass, it still would be expensive (about $16 for "official" Fest rides, plus any additional travel on your own), but at least there is now a way we don't have to dig into our pockets many times in the course of the day for individual fares, some of which would be as much as $3.75 (more at rush hour). The itinerary was worked to avoid the direction of rush hour flow, so we could at least avoid that surcharge. It would involve travel on both Inclines, one in the morning and one in the late afternoon.

Now..... when to do it? It could be another idea for January 2014, instead of the East Coast RailFest idea (Connecticut, New Jersey, Philly), or would anyone wish to do it in November of this year? So many Fests, so little time!

It would be a 1-day event in Pittsburgh itself. Those in the Midwest could take the Capitol Limited from and to the West and avoid hotels altogether since they could arrive the morning of the event and leave the same night.

There are 2 itineraries, one for a Friday in Pittsburgh (travel from the east on Thursday and back east on Saturday), and one for a Saturday in Pittsburgh (travel from the east on Friday and back east on Sunday).

The itineraries work either way, both wrapping up around 4 PM. But one downside of the Saturday schedule is that it may be difficult to get transit on Sunday morning to catch the eastbound Pennsylvanian. However, a benefit of the Saturday schedule would be cheaper hotels since both required nights would be on "weekend" rates.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#42 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Rockies RailFest 2014 itinerary was changed now that calling times are known with the recent opening of the Draper Blue Line extension. Still unknown is the schedule for Sugar House Streetcar, which should be open by the end of 2013.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#43 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

Pittsburg would be ok. Only problem is that I wouldn't be gone long enough. I could ride the Capitol to washington and then comeback to Chicago after the fest. Too bad the Pennsylvanian does not connect to 49.

#44 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Too bad the Pennsylvanian does not connect to 49.

It does, in New York, although you have to wait a day. :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#45 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

I guess I need to hold off on booking airfare to east coast for January. Looking forward to riding anything anywhere.

#46 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

Well I booked the Cardinal in January to arrive in PHL. It's on AGR points, but figured I'd grab it while a roomette was available on the Cardinal. So my vote is for November to visit Pittsburgh.

Edited by saxman, 26 August 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#47 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

Updated Rockies RailFest 2014 itinerary with the new STOP name for the Sugar House Streetcar endpoint. Now all we need are the scheduled times at the Central Pointe and Fairmont STOPS and we will have no more unknowns. That information should come in about 3 months close to the projected December debut.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#48 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

And yet another update on a second consecutive day, now that the Sugar House Streetcar is officially named the S Line and has its own logo.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#49 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:12 PM

Kevin, do you know when the date and location of the January fest will be certain? I learned today that the Silver Meteor is canceled on Thursday January 16, 2014 (safety patrol train) and my guess is the Silver Star will sell out in the not to distant future. If the itinerary stays as you previously posted, I likely would want to leave Orlando on Thursday 1/16 on the Silver Star and arrive in PHL on Friday evening 1/17. If you were me, would you go ahead and make a reservation now, to assure that I have a place at a reasonable price? Thanks.

#50 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

It is way, way too early to make any commitments as to where. I cannot at this point put in for days off from my job as it's too far in advance. As for the "when", we usually aim for the MLK weekend, and you can assume it will be then unless something changes before then. It very well could. Anyone is free to make advance Amtrak reservations, but be mindful of the refund and voucher policies just in case a change is necessary. Same goes for hotel rooms, usually easier to cancel than Amtrak. I appreciate the excitement over future Fests, but please understand that I cannot be definite about anything this soon. Nor can I be definite about when I can make any final decisions.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users