37 replies to this topic

#11 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

New worry: Mississippi River flooding. I think it crested already at Burlington, IA, where the California Zephyr crosses, but with more rain it could come up again.

http://abcnews.go.co...ridges-24451943

http://www.thonline....d4e5f3d1d0.html

I can't look at Burlington's own newspaper, the Hawk Eye, because all news seems to be subscriber content.

BNSF was reading Kevin's mind. The BNSF July 2 "Service Update" (posted in the Freight forum) says
"On our Ottumwa subdivision, which is also near the Mississippi in Southern Iowa, our crews have been able to raise the track as much as 12 inches at a critical location in Burlington, IA, which allows that section of track to remain in service."

The National Weather Service Mississippi River at Burlington shows the river has crested. The Weather Channel 10-day forecast for Burlington shows a 40% (or less) chance of isolated "Thorms."

If you make the Chicago connection crossing the river should be a "breeze." :rolleyes:

#12 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Looks like another marginal connection day for 49 -5 in Chicago. 49 is now estimated to arrive at 2:10 pm CDT. Which probably means it will arrive after 2:30pm CDT. It was last seen tooling along at 37mph just outside of South bend at around 1:55pm EDT

#13 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

98 is running pretty late today, but Julie seems to think it will arrive in time to make the connection to 49.

#14 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

As of 3:30pm EDT, 49 is yet to arrive in Chicago and 5 left on time. Allegedly 49 will arrive about 5 hours late. If this goes on it would be in order to find a hotel in Chicago and then decide what to do next. 98 made it in time for connecting to 49. OTOH, we have to see when 49 finally decides to depart! It managed to depart only 5 mins late.

#15 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

It looks like 49 arrived in CHI about an hour after 5 left today. Just in case you have not figured it out, I am concerned. :o

#16 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

For those who have the money and time maybe it would be wise to arrive into chicago on friday and connect saturday.

#17 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

I am using points so that is not an option for me.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Again let's consider the possibility that there did not happen to be any connecting passengers from 49 to 5 through Chicago. Or perhaps they did bridge a gap by taxi or van for a few people. We know on Saturday there will be at least 6 people making the transfer. To Kevin N, given the present uncertainty that is a good idea. Jobwise I could not get away a day earlier, and even if I had, this particular trip was on points redemption so it had to be contiguous. I won't have the 6-to-30 (or perhaps 6-to-48) worries that some will have the following weekend, but I scheduled myself a 22-to-50 worry for the Tuesday after. Perhaps one good thing about 22 is that it originates in Fort Worth until Labor Day rather than San Antonio. So less room for it to be severely delayed.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

And as we cogitate today's 49(8) has just gone into "Service Disruption" at Albany. You won't believe the reason! A Tornado west of Syracuse! It has now departed Albany. Current estimates are 1:37 late into Rochester, and so the trudge begins.

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Boy any excuse they can find. A tornado moving westbound might be of help to the westbound train. :D Think. By sitting there still, won't an eastbound tornado eventually catch up with the westbound train?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users