#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

Day 1 of the LI RailFest 2010 is over. Seven of us did the subway portion of today's activities, and then we had eight on the Long Island RR. We got a little ahead of schedule on the subways, but our LIRR trains were both a little late. Tomorrow's a long day on Long Island! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

Had a great day! My day started at 8:45 AM when I woke up then fell back asleep until 9:30. Meaning I would miss the NJT North Jersey Coastline Train I had hoped to take. I got ready then made my way to the Little Silver Train Station and caught the 11:02 local train to New York Penn Station. It was an uneventful ride to Newark Penn Station. At Newark I made the connection to PATH. 10 minutes later we pulled out of Newark Penn and made our way to World Trade Center. From World Trade I boarded a train bound for Hoboken and once we got to the NJT Terminal I decided to take a ferry to Pier 11 at the South Street Seaport. The ferry took about 20 minutes and we made a quick stop at another pier before arriving at South St. It was 1:50 and I began wondering if I would in fact make it to Herald Square in time to join the group on the M train. I walked a few blocks down Wall St. and the #2 subway line. I swiped in and waited a couple of minutes before a Bronx bound 2 train showed up. I took that to Penn Station and headed back to street level on the corner of 33rd and 7th I walked down one block to 6th then over to 32nd where I found a sign pointing to PATH I took those stairs down, and met the group. I had about 10 minutes to spare. It was nice to see everyone, and soon we headed down to the platform. An F train arrived first and a few minutes later an M train arrived. We all boarded and were Brooklyn bound. We made a handful of stops in Manhattan then it was over to Brooklyn and Myrtle Ave. where we transferred to J train. We took the J train to 42nd street before transferring to a 7 train headed under the East River and walked to Long Island City. The train station was laughable a single ticket machine, two bottles of hand cleaner, and a platform. We stood around for I’d say about a half hour before an employee asked us what train we were waiting for. She informed us it would be leaving from track 7. Which mean we walked through part of the yard and past a couple “No trespassing” signs before finding track 7. There was 1 door on the platform, and we all fanned out in the last car for the run to Babylon. We ran over the Central Branch on the way there, and came back on the Babylon Branch. The inbound train was quite crowded. At Woodside Alan, Jishnu, and Piotr all got off and headed different ways. The rest of the group rode to Penn Station. We all had dinner at the food court on the Amtrak concourse. From there I caught an 8:04 Coastline train back home. I Newark Piotr joined me to South Amboy. I arrived in Little Silver about 7 minutes late. It was a great day on the rails and look forward to all the trackage we are covering tmrw.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

We made a handful of stops in Manhattan then it was over to Brooklyn and Myrtle Ave. where we transferred to J train. We took the J train to 42nd street before transferring to a 7 train headed under the East River and walked to Long Island City.

It was not the J train, but another M train. The J train goes to the Wall Street area; only the M runs over the Chrystie Street connection onto the Sixth Avenue line.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

Today was a regular work day for me as I was needed to fill in for two others who were out sick or on vacation. Then I took Amtrak train 652 from Philly to NY. Despite the scheduled construction in the Rahway area, there were no delays and I wound up meeting the final five in NYP for the food court dinner.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

And the second and final day went very well. We rode out to Oyster Bay, Long Beach, and West Hempstead. We got to know Jamaica Station real well as some of us transferred there 4 times (others 3). Everyone enjoyed lunch at 5 Guys Burgers & Fries across the street from the Long Beach station. After the train riding, most of us had dinner at Stage Door Deli before going out separate ways. Thanks to everybody who came out to ride trains over the past 2 days! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

By the way a couple of questions came up during the train rides which I can now answer. When did we last ride the Far Rockaway branch? January of 2005. When did we ride the Lower Montauk branch between Long Island City and Jamaica? January of 2007.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

I am about to take train 671 (22) back home to Philly, after spending the day with family. This makes me one of the last, if not the last, to get home.

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

I am about to take train 671 (22) back home to Philly, after spending the day with family. This makes me one of the last, if not the last, to get home.

Not the last. Mike Hammond is still on his way home..... The Pennsylvanian should be in Pittsburgh in a little over an hour, and then he's either on the Capitol Limited or an earlier Greyhound bus for the last leg to Cleveland.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users