#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

So a couple days later, this is where I stand on September.   Again to avoid travel on the Labor Day and September 11th weekends, and in consideration of coworkers who already have scheduled vacation time, I am now going to be off the week of September 13-17, which includes the weekend of the 18th & 19th.   My #1 desire for that week is to do my 5-day, 4-night Virginia & North Carolina trip, which still assumes that the CityLynx Gold Line will be in service by sometime in August.    Travel would include overnight stops at Richmond (downtown Main Street Station), Tidewater (Norfolk/Virginia Beach), Charlotte, and Raleigh.  4 nights in hotels.   In the last two cities in that list, hotel rates skyrocket on that weekend.   It might be better if one has the points to redeem them rather than pay the inflated cash price.   In my current and preferred scenario, I have the trip starting on Tuesday and ending Saturday, with the Charlotte and Raleigh hotel stays on Thursday and Friday nights respectively.  I'd prefer those days as it gives me a buffer before going back to work in case something happens to delay my return home.  But if there is interest, and soon, this could be shifted one day later to start on Wednesday and the Charlotte and Raleigh stays being much more expensive but possible for now on Friday and Saturday nights.  Most trains could be reserved in Business Class and thus be totally cancellable.   The Piedmont segment is coach only, so I don't think that can be cancelled.  And the last segment on the Silver Star (92) leaving Raleigh is a long distance train, so it is subject to the refund policies governing coach or sleeper travel.  But as an alternative, one can also take the Carolinian (80) in Business Class which is totally cancellable and refundable.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:20 AM

I really like the trip planned for VA & NC, but unfortunately I have another commitment the weekend of Sept 16-18.  The next weekend would have worked, but know it doesn't work for others. The itinerary sounds interesting and would put me on some new Amtrak lines. Perhaps another time. 

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:16 PM

This still all hinges on the debut of the CityLYNX Gold Line Phase II in Charlotte, which is still slated to open in August, this month, but so far no definite start day has been announced.  If it's not open, I'm not going on at least the NC portion of the trip until it does.  One of my alternatives might be to do the VA portion of the trip only, and pair it with something else on my list.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 01:09 AM

I am still looking at going to Boston sometime in March 2022, dates yet to be determined.   However, a couple of the hoped-for activities may not be available to us.    For one, the Foxboro pilot has not returned since it was postponed in the pandemic.  It would have given us new trackage to ride between Walpole and Foxboro.   And the Green Line Extension which when mentioned earlier was supposed to open in phases in October and December of 2021, now will open months later...maybe in March and May. So at best perhaps one of the two branches might be in service.

On the positive side, we still have the Downeaster to Maine for one day, and we still should be able to do 2 commuter rail runs on the other day.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:23 PM

As it stands now, I think a March trip to Boston would work for me.  I canceled my cross country trip scheduled for this week and have a planned short trip to NYP in January.  I am anxious to travel, but anxious about traveling.   :o

#16 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 06:57 PM

Happy New Year!

And with that I started a new job this year and will be in training until March 18. So as of now, the last two weekends in March will be the only ones that work. But don't work around just me.

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:40 AM

Based on what I said in Post #14 above, here are my thoughts about what we should discuss:

• Do we definitely want to meet in March?   Given that the virus continues in different, more contagious forms.... 
  • Boston might be more fruitful for our train riding purposes later in the year, once the weekend work on the Fitchburg line is finished so we can ride to Wachusett, and once both branches of the Green Line Extension are running, which probably won't be until later in the Spring.  Lastly, the Foxboro Pilot is paused indefinitely due to the pandemic.
  • Perhaps just an Amtrak excursion in the vain of our Roanoke trip last year might work?   We've come up with ideas in the past such as Silver Star to Raleigh or the Vermonter to St. Albans, both of which should work with one overnight.     A two-day, 1 overnight trip to Norfolk is also possible but it would have to be on two weekdays since the one arrival on Saturday is too late and the one departure from Norfolk on Sundays is too early.   Charlotte was another idea, but it's more than one weekend since the Carolinian arrives late evening and departs very early morning so a day in between is needed to ride the light rail & streetcar.  Such would probably also involve the Piedmont and stopover in Raleigh.   We've also thought of a trip on the Ethan Allen to Rutland, but I believe this would be better when the train is extended to Burlington later in the year.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:12 PM

My attendance is more based on whether I can find inexpensive fares to/from the starting point or a reasonable mid-point than anything else. For me WAS and NYC are more conducive to that than BOS as of late. Out of the options given Raleigh seems a bit more appealing - less concern over winter weather (particularly walking to/from hotels) and a larger selection of hotels and transportation options to get to/from those hotels. A three-day trip could also work, though I might only do one direction between Charlotte and the NEC if that's what's chosen.

I do also have a standing Zoom meeting on the second Saturday of the month from 11a - 12:30p ET, but that could be joined from a train or lounge if need be. Easy enough to work around if that works better for everyone else, and considering my attendance is contingent on many other factors, use my preferences only as a tiebreaker instead of as a full vote (for whatever that's worth.)

Edited by jebr, 12 January 2022 - 01:19 PM.

#19 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:35 PM

As for Boston, perhaps it is done better later in the year. But if we wish to do it in March, I have an RPA Council meeting the last weekend of March. Other than that I guess at least calendar-wise I am open, but as you said, we also have to see what Omiicron has in mind by then. My guess is it will substantially subside by then, but it is just a guess.

I always like to visit Raleigh and Charlotte. I have done so several times, mainly because it is kinda convenient from down here in Florida, so I'd vote for that.

#20 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:53 PM

I also like Raleigh and Charlotte (maybe Raleigh a bit more since I have not been there in a very long time).  I am not sure how spring break will affect the fares on the Silver Star.  The Star seems to have higher sleeper fares than the Meteor (one fewer sleeper), but that will not stop me.  (a room without a toilet will stop me however).  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users