37 replies to this topic

#1 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

Oops. Thx Kevin.

Here are links for Yelp review of both places mentioned by mark, penny, and myself in emails.

Dukes
http://www.yelp.com/...m_source=ishare

Ivars

Then here is another by pioneer square.

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

and here is another by Pioneer Square, close to King Street Station (and stadium) - fairly reasonably priced but certainly not top notch food
http://www.yelp.com/...r-house-seattle

Edit:  this would not be a good choice.  They do not take reservations on days that the Sounders Play.  I had no idea who the "sounders" were until I googled.  I think they are a major league soccer team and they play in Seattle on Wednesday July 13th.  I do not know if that will rule out restaurants near King Street and Century Link Field.  I am a bit clueless about MLS, but it seems to be a big deal in Orlando now.

Edited by KevinKorell, 03 May 2016 - 06:20 PM.
removed nested reply

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

Might be a good idea to see if the Seattle Mariners have a home game that night too --- could be even more of a mess. Generally we have succeeded in staying away from large events, but if we happen to be in town the same evening as a game, then the further from downtown the better. In the case of Seattle that might mean looking at restaurants along LINK light rail south of downtown. Or the one at the end of the South Lake Union streetcar would probably be far enough away.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:09 PM

Might be a good idea to see if the Seattle Mariners have a home game that night too --- could be even more of a mess. Generally we have succeeded in staying away from large events, but if we happen to be in town the same evening as a game, then the further from downtown the better. In the case of Seattle that might mean looking at restaurants along LINK light rail south of downtown. Or the one at the end of the South Lake Union streetcar would probably be far enough away.

No Seattle Mariners (baseball?) game on July 13th.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

This thread is for discussion of dinner plans for Wednesday, July 13th in Seattle.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:12 AM

Dukes looks pretty good.  The Lake Union area is well removed from Century Link Field and the Sounders game (which is a pretty big deal in the Seattle area).  We still have time to look over options.

The option of a Sounders game is actually intriguing to me.  A dog, beer, and a football match (round ball variety) would be kind of a neat way to spend an evening in Seattle.

#7 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

Here is the menu for dukes.  http://www.dukeschow...esDinnerNov.pdf

The yelp menu did not have the prices.  This menu does. Dukes has a bit of everything.  One thing to consider is that Portland will also provide another opportunity for a 2nd group dinner which would be two nights in a row.  That being said, It would be a good idea to look at menus for both nights to see if pricing and menu choices are compatible for eating in a group setting two nights in a row. 

#8 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:02 AM

Last time the group met in Seattle we went to both Duke's and Ivar's.  Even with a Sounders game, if we decide on Ivar's, I'd make arrangements ahead of time, so no problems.  Ivar's has a no-tip policy.  Seattle voted to increase minimum wage to $15/hour over three or four years.  Ivar's opted to raise their workers' salaries to $15 now, increased menu prices and did away with tipping, which concept I like. Seattle of course is well-known for its great fish restaurants. But I know some like their steaks and these two have both meat AND fish offerings.  Many other choices, but those two are close to rail stations.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

I think for right now we are at the information gathering stage.  About 2 weeks before we depart from Chicago on 7, we will get down to the process of selecting a restaurant.  Personally, I like both Dukes and Ivars, but we need to wait a bit to give more people a chance to look at the restaurants and make choices. 

#10 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:08 AM

I scouted out the route to Ivar's today.  Alaskan Way along the waterfront is torn up due to reconstruction of the seawall, which was literally rotting away.  Ivar's is open and will remain so, but the flat route from Pioneer Square is lengthier than the more direct route from a mid-town Link station, and involves some detours.  Kevin tells me there are or might be some mobility issues.  Depending on what they are or might be, that route may not be viable.  And the direct route involves a very steep down and up again from Third Avenue.  We did it last time, but I'm not sure about this time around.  Duke's is very close to the [Fred Hutch] campus stop on the SLU streetcar line.  Mobility issues would be nil.  However, I will contact Ivar's to see if a service charge would be added, even with a no-tip policy.  I'm sure Duke's would add a 20% service charge for a group our size. 

"Big Green Chauvanist"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users