• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickG

NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

New York City Transit has announced the following service changes for January 14-15:

No 2 trains between Atlantic Avenue and Chambers Street.
No 3 trains between 14 St and New Lots Avenue.
4 trains replace the 3 between Nevins Street and New Lots Avenue.
Uptown 5 trains replace the 2 between Chambers Street and 149 Street.

This will make the last leg of the fest (New Lots Avenue to Penn Station on the 3) a little more complicated. With the 3 out, we can either take the 4 from New Lots to Bowling Green and transfer to the uptown 5, which will go to Penn Station on the 7th Avenue Line. Or, we can take the 4 to Fulton Street and transfer to the A or C to get to Penn. I recommend the second option because I can tell you from personal experience that the re-routed 5 schedule can be quite erratic.

No service changes have been posted for the L for January 14-15. Unfortunately, I doubt that the MTA can stand to leave that line alone for one whole weekend.
Nick Gibbon

New York, NY/Philadelphia, PA

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:27 PM

Nick,

Yeah I saw that but haven't yet posted the individual service disruptions for the week.

This is not a big problem, for two reasons:
1) It's on the tail end of the day's activities, so at worst we will get to Penn Station (and dinner) a few minutes later. That may only be an issue if somebody has an hourly train home and this causes them to just miss it.

2) The 4 is substituting for the 3. It's not like we would have to take a bus or completely scuttle our trip on the New Lots Avenue line. Heck, I don't care if they have a 16 train running, as long as it's rail service.

However, I would vote for the 5 on the 2 routing, changing from the 4 at Bowling Green. (It's really on the 1 until you get to Chambers Street.) Although it has been fairly commonplace since work began on the new Fulton Avenue station complex, a ride on the inner South Ferry loop and the short piece of trackage between Bowling Green and South Ferry is still considered to be "rare" trackage. We could consider this a rare treat. I think I've only been on that trackage once before, a couple of years ago when there was a similar diversion.

As for the L, they do continue to tinker with that line. We can only hope they decide to work west of Myrtle/Wyckoff that weekend.

If the L is out in the section where we intend to ride, an option could be to go back to Manhattan via the M and J trains, and then switch to the Brooklyn-bound 4, which we could ride all the way out to New Lots and back. It would take a little longer, but again we're at the end of the day anyhow. A pitfall would be that we most likely would see the elevated portion of the New Lots line only in darkness. Benefit: We would not have to leave the system at Livonia/Junius and climb over the vagrants. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:54 PM

However, I would vote for the 5 on the 2 routing, changing from the 4 at Bowling Green.  (It's really on the 1 until you get to Chambers Street.)  Although it has been fairly commonplace since work began on the new Fulton Avenue station complex, a ride on the inner South Ferry loop and the short piece of trackage between Bowling Green and South Ferry is still considered to be "rare" trackage.  We could consider this a rare treat.  I think I've only been on that trackage once before, a couple of years ago when there was a similar diversion.

View Post

While a ride on the inner loop would indeed be a real treat, it's one that we won't be experiencing. One can't get to the 7th Avenue line, the 1, via the inner loop. One can only reach the 7th Ave. line via the outer loop.

So we would only get the rare trackage from Bowling Green to the start of the South Ferry Loop, at which point we'd quickly cross over to the outer loop.

The only way to ride the inner loop is if the train is returning to Bowling Green and the Lexington Avenue Line, assuming that you boarded it or were already on it prior to it's south bound arrival at Bowling Green.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#4 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

As for the L, they do continue to tinker with that line.  We can only hope they decide to work west of Myrtle/Wyckoff that weekend.

Hasn't the bulk of the work been basically East of Myrtle/Wyckoff? If that is so, I'd think that at bare minimum any outage would only affect us schedulewise...

Either way this the usual diversion seems to work in our favor regardless, I'll take "rare" trackage and a change of trains over no service any day:lol:

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 12:47 AM

The only way to ride the inner loop is if the train is returning to Bowling Green and the Lexington Avenue Line, assuming that you boarded it or were already on it prior to it's south bound arrival at Bowling Green.

So Alan you're saying that only the 2 will be doing this route since it is doing the reverse of what the 5 is, in providing East Side service in lieu of the Uptown 5.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 NickG

NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

Kevin,

The bulk of the inner loop trackage can only be covered by riding a 5 that enters the loop from the Lexington Avenue line and returns to the Lexington Avenue line when it is finished looping. Riding a re-routed 2 or 5 allows you to experience only a little bit of the inner loop. This track map at nycsubway.org may help to illustrate what I'm talking about.

As Alan said, if we ride the re-routed 5, we will be on the inner loop for just a second or two before we cross over to the outer loop. If we were to ride the re-routed 2, we would be on the outer loop for most of the time, crossing over to the inner loop only at the last second to go to the Lex.
Nick Gibbon

New York, NY/Philadelphia, PA

#7 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

Kevin,

The bulk of the inner loop trackage can only be covered by riding a 5 that enters the loop from the Lexington Avenue line and returns to the Lexington Avenue line when it is finished looping. Riding a re-routed 2 or 5 allows you to experience only a little bit of the inner loop. This track map at nycsubway.org may help to illustrate what I'm talking about.

As Alan said, if we ride the re-routed 5, we will be on the inner loop for just a second or two before we cross over to the outer loop. If we were to ride the re-routed 2, we would be on the outer loop for most of the time, crossing over to the inner loop only at the last second to go to the Lex.

View Post

Exactly. :)
Alan,

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 03:42 PM

Kevin,

(snipped)

View Post

Exactly. :)

View Post

Gotcha both.

And now I see that they almost gave us Service Disruption #2. The Manhattan-bound N and R trains are running over the Manhattan Bridge rather than going through the Montague Street Tunnel. We're going Brooklyn-bound on the N, so hopefully we are not impacted by whatever they are doing. Going over the bridge is a shorter route, but with the diverted N and R as well as the regularly routed Q there could be congestion.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:11 PM

And now I see that they almost gave us Service Disruption #2.   The Manhattan-bound N and R trains are running over the Manhattan Bridge rather than going through the Montague Street Tunnel.  We're going Brooklyn-bound on the N, so hopefully we are not impacted by whatever they are doing.  Going over the bridge is a shorter route, but with the diverted N and R as well as the regularly routed Q there could be congestion.

View Post

The Manhattan bound N doesn't normaly go through the Montaque Street Tunnel, except during the overnight hours when the R does not run out of Brooklyn. Otherwise during all daylight hours the N runs over the bridge.
Alan,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users