#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

Here we can talk about our westbound trip on Friday, 7/17/15 from Chicago to St. Paul on Amtrak's Empire Builder, Trains 7/27(17).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

There are 12 of us on this train in 3 different cars. According to the train-wide announcement made by the attendant, Kevin made dinner reservations for the group. The "Kevin 12" will be eating at 5:30. :)

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

And that was interesting. Low-key me became instant rock star on the train when I came out of my dungeon in Room 12. 

Anyhow, the trip started out 24 minutes late (which was not too shabby when one considers that we had visions of either no train with bustitution or a stub train between Chicago and St. Paul with no amenities such as food).  As things turned out with the multiple derailments west of here, they sent a full train through expecting the mess to be cleared by the time the train reaches that area. In fact our train was longer than normal, as it had an extra sleeper made available by stub trains running on previous days to handle those who were re-booked.   It also carried a private car -- something we have known to delay our trains as well, including the Capitol Limited we just rode from Pittsburgh to Chicago.

As it is accustomed to doing, the Builder continued to lose time up the line, finding itself in the position of being behind a Metra Fox Lake train until the latter branched off at Rondout.    We also had leg-stretching stops at Milwaukee and Winona.   We arrived into St. Paul Union Depot at 11:05 PM, 1 hour 12 minutes off the advertised  It could have been a lot worse, so we chalk it up as a successful trip.

Of note here was what we found to be an exceptional crew, at least for the 8 of us in the Seattle section of the train.  The only negative was that one reason for our late departure from Chicago was the late arrival of a sleeper attendant.  Before she arrived. the attendant of the 730 car, thought he would have to handle the 731 and 732 cars as well.  When she got there they shared the three cars between them. Because he originally thought he was alone, he had to work several doorways at once, and thus some people boarded the wrong car and had to be moved to the correct location.  But John was excellent, showing interest in all his passengers (including our interests in trains) and working to help us attain a dinner reservation for 12 people who were scattered throughout 3 sleeping cars (including 4 of our group in the Portland section) by announcing that I would make the reservation and even announcing what time that was to the entire train.

Besides John, the dining car staff was great too.  Our server Lynne, aside from dropping dinner checks on the floor several times, was attentive and friendly.  The lead service attendant Dave was caring as well, as was another server Rose who helped out bringing out either dinner or dessert to our various tables. The food was good and prepared nicely and to order.

Perhaps our folks who were back in the Portland section of the train could share their impressions as well, since we didn't get to see how the service was for them other than in the dining car.

We hope our eastbound trip goes just as well on Sunday.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:26 AM

The 2730 car was not ready to receive passengers. The sca did a good job organizing the passengers on the platform . Yard workers were still cleaning the car from the inbound trip. First the lower level rooms were ready. Then the bedrooms, and finally the roomettes upstairs. The wait was about 20 minutes. Considering the challenges facing Amtrak this was reasonable. It was hot on the platform and diesel fumes were noted. The AC never really got up to where it could cool the car properly.

My steak was perfect, and Roz devoured the healthy choice. We enjoyed dinner with David and his wife, both educators. This was one of those all time great diner meals.

#5 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:47 AM

I think I have Lynn as the LSA. Little old lady?

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

I think I have Lynn as the LSA. Little old lady?

I doubt that, as she's a server, not little, not old, and is still headed west.  Our LSA was male.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 19 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

Yep correction different crew. This one based out of Seattle. At least the LSA frann is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users