#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

No reports were posted about Amtrak conditions today, including a couple of shutdowns. I was not home collecting information because I was our living the news myself.

Trip from Metropark to Charlottesville took almost 9 hours (normally a little over 6), and featured a 35 min dead stop in North Philly after the incident (which nobody felt on the train), walking speed (10-15 mph) all the way from Baltimore to Washington, and then slower speeds thru AX interlocking, and on to NS. Restrictions lifted after Burke Centre, but we had another 10-min quake related track inspection stop just before Culpeper.

Thanks to those who posted news items about the quake relating to various other trains. My experiences were Tweeted at http://www.twitter.com/kevinkorell , and those items related to my trip have hashtag #kktrip.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:13 AM

Restrictions lifted after Burke Centre, but we had another 10-min quake related track inspection stop just before Culpeper.

Culpeper had severe structural damage to several building. Three major buildings are condemned so far, and it is possible that the Station building will also be condemned, according to a local news paper.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

Reuters, 8/23/11:

Earthquake disrupts Amtrak, commuter service

Amtrak said it is operating trains at reduced speeds between Baltimore and Washington on Tuesday while crews inspect tracks, stations and other rail infrastructure following a strong earthquake that struck the U.S. East Coast and Canada.

Here's that story.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

One News Now, 8/24/11:

Amtrak DC-Baltimore trains up to speed after quake

Amtrak trains have resumed normal speeds along the busy Northeast Corridor between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.

More

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users