#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Trying my hardest to avoid any disasters like the past (such as overcrowded streets and restaurants), here are the results of my searching so far. As always I am looking at food establishments, primarily steakhouses, that are within a few blocks walk of a RAIL station.If we are going to go for a steakhouse, there is no doubt it will be pricey, even in outer boroughs.So far, here are the places I've found. I did not look at steak houses in Manhatten for the reasons stated above, and Staten Island is too cumbersome to get to & from with the ferry. Some we may rule out by virtue of excessive prices, but there may be some bearable deals if you look carefully at the menus. A couple of places have menus without prices; I'd stay clear of such places since they can charge whatever they wish. Below are steakhouses in the remaining 3 boroughs, the approximate price range, and the nearest rail station:BronxJake's Steakhouse --- $18-$40, also has seafood & pasta. 1 242 St-Van Cortlandt ParkQueensChristo's Steakhouse -- $18-$36. N Q Ditmars Blvd.-AstoriaOutback Steakhouse -- $9.99 for 6 oz steak, up to $27.99. Varied menu. R Grand Avenue-Newtown.Austin's Steak & Ale -- $12.95-$32.95. Adjacent to LIRR Kew Gardens station.BrooklynPeter Luger Steakhouse -- Menu has no prices. J Marcy Avenue.Austin's Steakhouse -- $28-$36. D N R 36th Street.DeStefano's Steakhouse -- $18.89-$43.89. L Lorimer Street.Morton's Steakhouse -- Menu has no prices. Part of Marriott hotel. A C F N R Jay Street-Metrotech.Arirang Hibachi Steakhouse -- Japanese. $18.99-$26.99. R 86th Street.Hunter's Steak & Ale House -- $18-$37. R 95th Street-Fort Hamilton Pkwy.Now a little lighter and reasonably priced, but with much more variety, I also looked at places in the vain of the Stage Door Deli, which is a diner/family restaurant type of place. We have been satisfied on several occasions with the Stage Door Deli (8th Ave./33rd St.) but in a search for variety here are some other choices in the area:Tick Tock Diner (8th Ave./34th St., walkable from Penn Station -- but I would expect KE$HA to pop out and sing this to us!)Skylight Diner (9th Ave./34th St., walkable from Penn Station)Westway Diner (9th Ave./43rd St.., nearest station 7 A C E 42nd Street-Port Authority)And that's for starters..... We of course have time to keep on looking for other choices. Anyone who wishes to pick up the ball from here and call these establishments to find out if they can accommodate our group (x- number of people will be known closer to the time), and offer separate checks to avoid confusion when it's time to pay the bill, please feel free to do so. Another thing to keep in mind is dress codes, particularly on a Saturday night. Railfans don't typically wear their Sunday best! :D In that respect we may be better off with one the above diners.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

Pete lugars is expensive. It was about 150 for 2 when mike and I went. And no credit cards.

Edited by steve4031, 09 December 2010 - 06:07 PM.

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Kevin. These are good choices. I'm finding them on yelp and book marking them. I'll be glad to check once we narrow down choices. I know outback does not do reservations.

#4 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

Jake's in the Bronx is most convenient to me, but a long-term construction project has frequent weekend bustitutions of the 1 line north of 168 St. (14 total weekends between Sept of this year and June 2011.)http://www.mta.info/...=100916-NYCT128

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

Thanks, John... probably not worth being bustituted.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

I haven't seen much discussion on this in 3 weeks. If you all would rather have greasy pizza in Penn Station that night, well that's fine too.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Kevin, pick one and mike and I will join you. I stll have yelp reviews. They all looked fun to me.

#8 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Kevin, Any of the above work for me. Sorry, I realize that's not much help. However a few thoughts/comments. First, the last two on the Brooklyn list are getting quite far from Penn Station. To the point where we might well be looking at more than an hour in travel times to get there and back. So that might be a reason for not considering them, even though I am a Hibachi fan. Second, if the Queens Outback is chosen, we want to use the Grand Avenue stop, it's much closer to the mall. That's two block walk vs. 3 & 1/2 from Woodhaven Blvd.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

What About the Austin steak house at kew gardens on lirr? It looks like lirr is only way to get there? Actually destefenos off of the L is best located steak house. About 25 minutes from nyp. What do you think?

Edited by steve4031, 04 January 2011 - 05:24 PM.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

As for Austin's, I didn't check yet as to the frequency of LIRR trains that stop at Kew Gardens (most bypass it). Not sure if it would be a comfortable walk to & from the Queens Blvd. subways, but Alan can answer that. DeStephano's is on the pricey side.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users