#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82656 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

Expected transit costs for our official travel in Los Angeles on LACMTA is posted here. Keep in mind that your costs may vary, depending on where you are staying overnight and whether any additional trips may be necessary to & from your hotel.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for posting the cost sheets that are easy to read and understand.  I really like the LA senior fares - thanks for alerting us that passengers only have to be over 62 to qualify as a senior.  :)

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82656 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

Updated the charts again for Los Angeles to make them clearer. I removed the meal breaks since they are irrelevant to the transit fares.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:55 PM

I may be reading this wrong, but it appears to me that one needs a senior TAP card in order to qualify for senior fares and said card can only be obtained online, by mail or at a customer center.  Documentation is required.

Seniors 62 years or older qualify for a Senior TAP Card. There is no charge for the card itself, but you must supply a full-face photo (1" X 1-1/4" or 2” X 2”) along with valid ID showing proof of age (California ID, California Drivers License, passport, or a birth certificate accompanied by any photo ID).

You can apply online for your Senior TAP Card or at any Metro Customer Center. Seniors may also mail in copies of the required documentation and a full-face photo to the TAP Reduced Fare Office, One Gateway Plaza, Mail Stop: 99-PL-4, Los Angeles, CA 90012-2952.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82656 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

Perhaps somebody with experience in Los Angeles, or somebody wishing to work the phone could clarify the above. The program could possibly work if one who qualifies purchases a senior TAP card from a machine, but has the required documentation on their person to show if and when they encounter a fare inspector on board or in a station. But I don't know for sure.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

Perhaps somebody with experience in Los Angeles, or somebody wishing to work the phone could clarify the above. The program could possibly work if one who qualifies purchases a senior TAP card from a machine, but has the required documentation on their person to show if and when they encounter a fare inspector on board or in a station. But I don't know for sure.

I applied on-line and uploaded a photo of myself and a scanned copy of my Florida driver's license.  The scanned copy was not a great copy, and I have a feeling my online application will be rejected.  If so, I will make a phone call and report back.  However, there may be only 2 of us who qualify for senior status who will be riding with the group on Sunday.  Based on what I have read, the senior TAP cards are "personalized" with a photo.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82656 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

They may be more permanent then, not sure if they are meant for infrequent visitors.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 CCC

CCC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:36 PM

The senior TAP card does have a photo. I applied via email with photo for the TAP card before the last west coast fest and waited a month before calling.too find out what was the delay. I was told the card would be expedited and it was. A call might help speed things up.

#9 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

I just phoned the TAP office to check on the status of my application.  I was told that it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the card to process.  I explained that I would be leaving Florida in about 4 weeks.  The agent then informed me that if I do not receive the card on time, I could get a temporary card from a customer center.  I then informed the agent that I would be in LA on a weekend.  The agent then asked my name and looked up my application.  He said it looked ok and it would be approved today.  :)

I then informed the agent that there may be others in my group that may not be able to file applications on time.  I asked if there is a way to receive the senior fare without the Reduced Fare TAP card.  The agent said that one should purchase a regular card from a machine and then load a one way senior fare (35 cents) to the card for each trip.  The day pass would not work.  However, for our itinerary on 7/17, adding 35 cents per trip is not too bad (in addition to the $1 fee for the card). [Plan B] There is no charge for the Senior Reduced Fare "personalized" card.

I am glad that there is a Plan B.  

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82656 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

Plan C:   Pay the full adult fares, they still aren't too bad with Day Pass.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users