#21 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:14 PM

1.  I am ok with whatever works best for the itinerary

2.  yes, I am ok with only one way

3.  yes, either before or after dinner is ok, but as Steve mentioned, after may be easier so we can ditch luggage.  

Penny

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:31 PM

Regarding #3 above, we probably want to ditch luggage before dinner too rather than hauling it into a restaurant. How about this, then? Assuming we arrive on or close to schedule, split quickly and go check-in at hotels (since it should already be within check-in hours), and then re-convene for dinner and streetcar ride (in either order) ? Remember the streetcar loop takes approximately 1 hour to get back to where one started.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

That's a plan.

#24 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

• In Seattle, do you want to spend time at the UW LINK endpoint station seeing the area at the surface, or just reverse direction underground and quickly leave the area?
  • In Seattle, are you comfortable with riding the First Hill Streetcar in only one direction (from Occidental to Capitol Hill - Broadway/Denny) or would you like to ride it the other way as well?
  • In Portland, would you be willing to do one of the Streetcar loops on Thursday evening, before or after dinner depending on time? This costs us more ultimately, but it saves time on Friday morning when we also have to get to lunch and do one of the loops and the MAX Orange Line to Milwaukie.... all before getting to Union Station well in advance of our Coast Starlight departure.

1. I'd prefer spending time at UW.

2. One way is fine with me.

#25 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

1. Spend time at UW,

2. One way is fine, but don;t mind going both ways either.

OK by me to do some riding before or after dinner on Thursday. The additional cost seems to be very modest, and is worth it to make Friday morning more relaxing.

#26 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

Since my mom & I won't see Seattle, I won't vote for anything there.

Regarding Portland, assuming that the EB isn't running super late, we should arrive there long before those of you coming down from Seattle. So we'll already have gone out to our hotel to check in and drop luggage.

Therefore, with the need to deal with dinner, we're already going to have 3 rides that we need to take. So taking a tour on the Streetcar just makes a day pass that much more viable for us. And I think it probably wise for us to try to get some riding done that night. Gives us a bit of a security blanket in the morning should something arise.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#27 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

Well, you'll be happy to know that there are so many of us planning to party at the Embassy Suites Portland Downtown, that it is now sold out for that night. :)

#28 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:09 AM

The one-way trip on the First Hill streetcar can take up to twenty, twenty-five minutes end-to-end, depending on whether it gets stuck in traffic.  I highly recommend taking it northbound to the terminus, which, as mentioned earlier is right next to the Capitol Hill Link station.  It would save precious time to take it one way, then catch a Link to UW/Husky stadium (which is all of four minutes from Capitol Hill--versus twenty or so minutes (depending on traffic) by bus.  The UW campus is gorgeous, BUT the station is at the stadium, a walk of ten or so minutes from the main part of the campus.  And Kevin tells me there may be mobility issues.  I do suggest at least surfacing, as the station is very deep underground, and we'll want some light and fresh air.  We can walk as much as we can/want and then dive back down underneath.  From UW/Husky stadium back to Westlake is about eight minutes, with another six or seven to the ID/International station.  If we have time, some might like to take the the big boy--a Sounder commuter train at least part way and then hook up to a reverse northbound train at an intermediate station.  I can work on timing possibilities.  

As to the ORCA card, if anyone still has one from the last trip, by all means use it.  It should still be valid and you can add value to the "e-purse" on line.  Since the ORCA card costs $5.00, it might not be "worth" it--financially, but then again, it's hassle-free to use.  Reduced ORCA for those over 65 and disabled is $3.00 but cannot be purchased online but rather at the office near King Street Station.  I only mention the ORCA because if one buys individual paper tickets, they cannot be used as transfers to another mode within Sound Transit (streetcar to Link to Sounder) whereas the ORCA card allows a two-hour window of opportunity to use as a transfer.  And it is easier just to swipe than buying another ticket at the vending machine.  Of course if anyone wants to buy one and keep it as a souvenir, then by all means go online and get one, then we can figure out pretty closely how much value to load so you will not be left with too much extra left over when you leave Seattle.  Just food for thought.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#29 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:54 AM

The one-way trip on the First Hill streetcar can take up to twenty, twenty-five minutes end-to-end, depending on whether it gets stuck in traffic.  I highly recommend taking it northbound to the terminus, which, as mentioned earlier is right next to the Capitol Hill Link station.  It would save precious time to take it one way, then catch a Link to UW/Husky stadium (which is all of four minutes from Capitol Hill--versus twenty or so minutes (depending on traffic) by bus.  The UW campus is gorgeous, BUT the station is at the stadium, a walk of ten or so minutes from the main part of the campus.  And Kevin tells me there may be mobility issues.  I do suggest at least surfacing, as the station is very deep underground, and we'll want some light and fresh air.  We can walk as much as we can/want and then dive back down underneath.  From UW/Husky stadium back to Westlake is about eight minutes, with another six or seven to the ID/International station.  If we have time, some might like to take the the big boy--a Sounder commuter train at least part way and then hook up to a reverse northbound train at an intermediate station.  I can work on timing possibilities.  

As to the ORCA card, if anyone still has one from the last trip, by all means use it.  It should still be valid and you can add value to the "e-purse" on line.  Since the ORCA card costs $5.00, it might not be "worth" it--financially, but then again, it's hassle-free to use.  Reduced ORCA for those over 65 and disabled is $3.00 but cannot be purchased online but rather at the office near King Street Station.  I only mention the ORCA because if one buys individual paper tickets, they cannot be used as transfers to another mode within Sound Transit (streetcar to Link to Sounder) whereas the ORCA card allows a two-hour window of opportunity to use as a transfer.  And it is easier just to swipe than buying another ticket at the vending machine.  Of course if anyone wants to buy one and keep it as a souvenir, then by all means go online and get one, then we can figure out pretty closely how much value to load so you will not be left with too much extra left over when you leave Seattle.  Just food for thought.

It appears the reduced fare ORCA can also be purchased by mail.  You can download an application HERE.  If you are requesting the 65 and over "permanent" card (I guess they assume you are not going to get younger), you just have to fill out the "Front" of the application, check "I am 65 years of age or older," and sign.  Attach a copy of proof of age (drivers license, etc.) and a check for $3 made out to "King County Metro," and mail to:

ORCA Regional Mail Center
MS TR-0102 <== note change in mail code
201 S. Jackson St.
Seattle, WA 98104

#30 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

Bill:  Thanks for the info.  I've been using my ORCA for so many years, I may not be up to speed on other options.  I don't think it's an actual ORCA card, but an all-inclusive permit card which is proof you are over 65 and/or disabled. ORCA is not accepted at most of those transit agencies.  This versus the reduced-fare ORCA card, which carries a monetary value on it.  And even with the permit, I don't think it could be swiped at an ORCA card reader.  It may be great for buses where one can show it to the driver, but I'm not sure about "driverless" modes, such as LINK or the streetcar.  With those, one might still have to buy a reduced-fare ticket at a vending machine and the permit could be proof of age/disability if a fare enforcement agent should question it.  Such complexities for a one-day visit!!

"Big Green Chauvanist"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users