#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

Expected transit costs for our official travel in Seattle on various carriers is posted here. Keep in mind that your costs may vary, depending on where you are staying overnight and whether any additional trips may be necessary to & from your hotel.

Edited by KevinKorell, 06 June 2016 - 01:50 AM.
Seattle costs page now live!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:05 AM

I'll continue the senior ORCA card discussion here.

When you order a "Regional Reduced Fare Permit (RRFP)" from King County Metro, you in fact get a reduced fare ORCA card.

Attached File  65_ORCA.png   179.1KB   0 downloads

The card can be loaded with value or passes like any ORCA card, and has the same tap and go fare payment convenience as a regular ORCA, but with the reduced fares.  The RRFP ORCA also serves as the show and pay permit for purchase of reduced fares from non-ORCA agencies. 

A discussion of the senior ORCA can be found HERE.

To repeat and add to my post in the Announcing PCRF topic:

The reduced fare ORCA can be purchased by mail. You can download an application HERE. If you are requesting the 65 and over "permanent" card, you just have to fill out the "Front" of the application, check "I am 65 years of age or older," and sign. Attach a copy of proof of age (drivers license, etc.) and a check for $3 made out to "King County Metro," and mail to:

ORCA Regional Mail Center
MS TR-0102
<== note change in mail code from prior post
201 S. Jackson St.
Seattle, WA 98104

Your ORCA will be mailed to you. The card will be pre-registered allowing on-line management, including loading of value and passes.  

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:51 AM

Kicking this thread, since I replaced parent post with a live invitation to visit the now completed Seattle costs page.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 14 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

A heads-up for those wanting a reduced fare ORCA card.

The King County Metro customer service center - one of the walk-in locations for obtaining a reduced fare ORCA card - is located next to King Street Station (at 201 S Jackson St). For those arriving on the Empire Builder, it is an easy walk from the station to the customer service office at the corner of 2nd Avenue and Jackson Street. After the train arrives, you can walk over and get your card in person. I was a bit concerned that a mail order might not be processed and get back to me in time. Problem solved.

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

Bill,
Is it possible to buy a regular orca card there? The online process was not working for me.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

I purchased ORCA online about 2 weeks ago, loaded with a day pass. I received it a couple days ago. Probably this is the last week one could do that safely without having to worry about it not arriving before we depart on the trip.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

Steve,

You can buy regular ORCA cards from the TVM's at each station, as well as at the store.

Only Senior discounted ORCA cards and handicapped ORCA cards must be purchased in advance or at the store.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

Steve,

You can buy regular ORCA cards from the TVM's at each station, as well as at the store.

One important clarification on this. The TVM's at each LINK station have the $8 Day Passes good on everything (except the Monorail). The Seattle Streetcar machines (remember we plan to ride the First Hill Streetcar, well, First) only have Streetcar-specific Day Passes that cost $4.50 . So you may still want to walk over to the International District LINK station to get an all-inclusive pass, before we take our first official ride.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

Ok, will do. Thx Kevin.

#10 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

Just to clarify. I already have an ORCA card. From your description, I can load that current card as a Day Pass? It still has a few dollars on it that I always have handy. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users