21 replies to this topic

#11 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

Your votes noted, anyone else?

I am a VERY picky eater and Golden Corral is not my favorite - but I am very difficult to please. However, I think Golden Corral is a good choice for a group dinner - lots of choices, separate checks, reasonable prices. There are plenty of Golden Corrals in Florida.

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82710 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Golden Corral will work. Was that where we ate near cherry hill a few years ago?

No, although there are several Goden Corrals within half an hours drive of Cherry Hill, we did not eat in any of them. We ate at the now-defunct Lone Star Steakhouse in Voorhees (1 mile drive from Lindenwold PATCO/NJT station) at the end of Garden State RailFest 2008 on August 23, 2008.

As for Golden Corral, we did eat in one once. During Washington RailFest 2005, on August 27, 2005 the group went to the Boulevard at Capital Centre in conjunction with riding the Metro Blue Line to Largo. Part of the group went to the Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse (that branch also now defunct! -- do you see a pattern here?) and the rest went to Golden Corral.

And that completes another Moment in RailFest History.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Golden Corral will work for me. Is it possible to arrange for group seating in advance?

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82710 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Steve, the only group thing I see requires a 25 person minimum, which I strongly doubt we will have. It probably would be helpful to just call the place from the train the same day to ensure they can set up an area to accommodate us together.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have a suggestion to rethink the current plan to have the Tuesday dinner at Golden Corral.

Perhaps we could modify the Charlotte plans to have dinner at an Uptown place after the light rail rides instead of Golden Corral during the ride? Even with a 7am get-away on the Carolinian the next morning, having dinner after the light rail rides at 7pm or so should not be a huge issue. The group should be able to get in and out by 8:30 and get back to the hotels by 9.

Uptown Charlotte is a vibrant area and has lots of dining options varying from high-end, white tablecloth restaurants, to pubs. In my opinion, it would be a shame to miss the experience. Finding an appropriate location at a reasonable cost should not be difficult (although probably not the cost of a Golden Corral). A few off the top of my head suggestions are:

- Ri Ra Irish Pub (pub says it all),
- Café Siena (Italian), and
- McCormick & Schmick's (steak and seafood).

At McCormick & Schmick's (one of my favorite spots), meals run about $30 or so (fish & chips or a simply grilled tilapia is $20, top of the line fillet $34). Meals at the other two places are under $30. All three are on Open Table, which permits on-line reservations in advance. I’d be happy to make arrangements. Note that the teachers conference in town that week will have about 5000 attendees, so advance reservations may be necessary. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Regardless, I plan to dine that evening in Uptown even if the official plan stays with Golden Corral. I would be open to anyone who might care to join me and keep me company.

#16 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I have a suggestion to rethink the current plan to have the Tuesday dinner at Golden Corral.

Perhaps we could modify the Charlotte plans to have dinner at an Uptown place after the light rail rides instead of Golden Corral during the ride? Even with a 7am get-away on the Carolinian the next morning, having dinner after the light rail rides at 7pm or so should not be a huge issue. The group should be able to get in and out by 8:30 and get back to the hotels by 9.

Uptown Charlotte is a vibrant area and has lots of dining options varying from high-end, white tablecloth restaurants, to pubs. In my opinion, it would be a shame to miss the experience. Finding an appropriate location at a reasonable cost should not be difficult (although probably not the cost of a Golden Corral). A few off the top of my head suggestions are:

- Ri Ra Irish Pub (pub says it all),
- Café Siena (Italian), and
- McCormick & Schmick's (steak and seafood).

At McCormick & Schmick's (one of my favorite spots), meals run about $30 or so (fish & chips or a simply grilled tilapia is $20, top of the line fillet $34). Meals at the other two places are under $30. All three are on Open Table, which permits on-line reservations in advance. I’d be happy to make arrangements. Note that the teachers conference in town that week will have about 5000 attendees, so advance reservations may be necessary. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

Regardless, I plan to dine that evening in Uptown even if the official plan stays with Golden Corral. I would be open to anyone who might care to join me and keep me company.

Bill, the mention of a Pub certainly got my attention. :lol: I personally like the idea of eating in uptown after riding the blue line. Because of my food allergies, I pretty much need to eat something that is made to order and is not marinated (and I like a beer with dinner ;) ) If I had to choose among the 3 restaurants listed above, I would choose McCormick or the Pub.
If the official plan stays with Golden Corral, I would love to keep you company.

BTW - Happy Anniversary.

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

I've eaten at two McCormick and Schmidt restaurants in Chicago, and both were pretty lame for the price paid. So I recommend staying away from them. IMHO it might be ok for a party of 2 or 3 or 4 to try to get into an uptown restaurant with the teaching convention. However, for the group it would be difficult. And would most likely lead to a late night before an early morning departure on the Carolinian the next morning. Not sure I want to do that. For me, this would be my first night in a hotel after 3 nights on the train coming from Chicago to Jacksonville, and then back to Charlotte. So I will be ready for bed at an early hour.

#18 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I've eaten at two McCormick and Schmidt restaurants in Chicago, and both were pretty lame for the price paid. So I recommend staying away from them.

IMHO it might be ok for a party of 2 or 3 or 4 to try to get into an uptown restaurant with the teaching convention. However, for the group it would be difficult. And would most likely lead to a late night before an early morning departure on the Carolinian the next morning. Not sure I want to do that.

For me, this would be my first night in a hotel after 3 nights on the train coming from Chicago to Jacksonville, and then back to Charlotte. So I will be ready for bed at an early hour.

Perhaps we could simply go two different directions. Those who want the simplicity and speed of Golden Corral could do the published plan, and those who want an Uptown restaurant experience could head off on their own.

Regarding McCormick & Schmick's, I appreciate and respect your assessment, but my wife and I have eaten at M&S 27 times in five different cities (including two weeks ago in Indianapolis), and we have found them constantly good and not a bad value considering the quality of the food and the experience. I guess going 27 times is evidence of that (and isn't kind of scary that I know that number?). Different strokes for different folks.

#19 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82710 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

I know Bill isn't doing it, but the majority will need to eat, digest, and get to sleep relatively early to be able to catch a 7 AM train in the morning. The simplicity and speed are important here (don't forget cost!), as we can ill afford a late night out. Had this buffet opportunity not existed, I would have next been in favor of fast food rather than sitdown dinner. IIRC in 2010 Bill went to M&S in Portland, OR when we went to the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#20 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

IIRC in 2010 Bill went to M&S in Portland, OR when we went to the Old Spaghetti Factory.

Good memory! I did indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users