#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82519 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

We have had many winter RailFests in the New York area, and they have all been over the MLK weekend. In the past we have found that the holiday weekend had no impact on hotel availability nor affordable rates.  This time around, while there is no shortage of hotel rooms, things seem to be a bit pricier.  There are some in our group who like to stay close to Penn Station, and it's in Midtown where rates seem to be the highest as one would expect.  With a little shopping around and willingness to travel by subway or PATH, lower rates may be had. I would suggest for those looking for economy, look towards other parts of Manhattan (such as the Financial District) or other boroughs like Brooklyn or Queens. The latter, for instance, has many hotels just across the river from Manhattan in Long Island City for decent rates.  There is also always New Jersey, where one can find hotels in Jersey City or downtown Newark near PATH stations.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

Although I made an early reservation at another nearby hotel at a pretty good rate, it appears that the Hampton Inn MSG currently has "reasonable" AAA rates for MLK weekend.

I agree with Kevin and am surprised that the same hotels for the same weekend in past years had much lower rates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users