#11 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 25 November 2004 - 03:21 PM

This makes it look more likely that we will be returning to Philadelphia in March for a major two-day fest. (HaRRy just jumped up, clicked his heels, and said, "YES!"  .)

YES!
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:52 PM

YES!

Before we get too excited, Nick has reminded me that there may be no SEPTA trains of any shape or form running in Philadelphia on weekends when March comes along unless the state bails out the agency. :angry: I doubt we will want to have a fest there when all we will be able to do is observe gridlocked streets and overflowing parking garages.

This won't, of course, affect PATCO, NJ TRANSIT, or Amtrak, so we could still work something out in lieu of SEPTA. HaRRy can always take his ride on the Media trolley on a weekday, albeit without the fun of doing it during a railfest. :(

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 RailHaRRy

RailHaRRy

OTOL Leader

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Trains, computers, CRPG

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:18 PM

Okay, I won't rush right out and make my airline reservations. But then I've heard SEPTA (and PTC before it) say about the same things many times, and they are still running. We'll see...
Regards, HaRRy, San Diego
Visit our On Track On Line web site

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:08 AM

In light of the recent announcement that weekend SEPTA service is spared (for now, albeit at a 50% higher cost), we can proceed with plans to meet in March for the next fest in Philadelphia. Planning has to begin even though New York has not yet occurred.

Itinerary has been revised to include Media trolley and RiverLINE (both for HaRRy) and to reflect the fact that riding on Friday would be impossible since it is a regular work/school day for most.

Tentative date is March 19-20, however this will be put to a poll since it may cause conflicts for some.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:35 AM

As per discussions we have had on the Chat, as well as in person at the most recent fest in New York, I have devised an itinerary (mostly without times for now) for the next Big Apple RailFest, which I assume will be in the first quarter of 2006.

This plan will let us ride the remaining overhead subway lines not yet covered in other Fests since 2001. It will exploit the return of N service to Coney Island, and it will include the one S shuttle train we have not yet done, the Franklin Avenue shuttle in Brooklyn. Also included are the N to Astoria, the A to Lefferts Blvd., the M route to Metropolitan Avenue that we missed this past time, and the 3 to New Lots Avenue.

The Sunday activity would be a single round trip on the LIRR's Ronkonkoma Branch out to Greenport and back.

That itinerary is now online here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

On my website I have redone the potential fests for Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington DC. Baltimore and Washington were split into separate one-day fests. The routes to follow are shown, but the times will be added at a later date once that fest is invoked and serious planning begins.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 VERITE

VERITE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

Hey Kev.....I live in Baltimore and if you need any info concerning the transit system, just let me know. I reluctantly no more about than I would like. :D

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:35 PM

Verite, First of all welcome to you. And thanks for the offer. I already did my homework in late December, when the entire system was open. Unfortunately, we won't be doing Baltimore until 2006 at the earliest when the north end reopens. You're always welcome to meet us there, or join us at other fests around the country before that.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Next up will be Chicago/St. Louis/Dallas in July.

So any early news about the July trip? How soon does one need to start making rail reservations? Is the recommended fare to use the 2 zone pass ($400+ in the summer)? Or is a round trip ticket going to work out cheaper? Is there a proposed itinerary to be found somewhere? I am sure Kevin has one stashed away somewhere ;) but I don't know where.

Jishnu.

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:13 PM

I am sure Kevin has one stashed away somewhere ;)  but I don't know where.

Your wish is my command. :) The tentative, and I stress tentative itinerary is here.

As I mentioned during the most recent Sunday chat session, there will be changes to the timetable of the westbound CAPITOL LIMITED, and I have not yet checked the LAKE SHORE LIMITED, TEXAS EAGLE, or Northeast Corridor trains thoroughly. This would affect therefore our Washington, DC departure and also the train we use to get to Washington.

Watch the homepage for this fest for updates to the various pages related to our activities and the restaurants and hotels in all cities we will be visiting.

As for the Amtrak fares, I will research what is the most cost effective way to go as far as a pass vs. paying through fares.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users