• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#21 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

I think the Dallas and Minneapolis combo fest is very feasable. I don't quite know how to work Austin into the mix and little rock.

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

IF we were to do a Fest that includes Minneapolis and Dallas, I have calculated that this would be 8 days out of Chicago (which includes one night IN Chicago in between!) To go between the Texas Eagle and Empire Builder in either direction requires an overnight Chicago stay. Of the 8 days, 5 would be necessary for the Dallas portion of the round trip, including both directions on the Texas Eagle, one full day in Dallas, and parts of two other days there. 3 days would be needed for the Minneapolis/St. Paul element of the trip -- 2 of them dedicated one way trips on the Empire Builder, and one full day to do our light rail and commuter rail activities. To break this down a little bit more, assuming we were to go to Minneapolis first, we would travel westbound on the Empire Builder on a Thursday. Friday would be our day in town. On Saturday, it's the eastbound Empire Builder back to Chicago. And then Sunday would begin the Dallas element leaving Chicago on the southbound Texas Eagle. Arrive in Dallas on Day Monday. There would be time for rail activities in the area on Days Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Wednesday we leave Dallas on the northbound Texas Eagle, completing the Fest with our arrival on Thursday. Now if we were to do Dallas first before Minneapolis, we then would begin on a Tuesday out of Chicago on the southbound Texas Eagle, arriving into Dallas on Wednesday. Time in the area would be spent on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Departure on the northbound Texas Eagle would be Friday, with arrival into Chicago on Saturday afternoon. Then the Minneapolis segment starts out of Chicago Sunday on the westbound Empire Builder, arriving in the Twin Cities that evening. Monday would be our full day in the region to ride local trains. And finally, on Tuesday we return from the MSP area to Chicago and call it a Fest. The day of the week I chose maximize our being in both areas on weekdays when there is more service available, and when service disruptions are less likely than they would be on weekends. The weekends fall during the one-night Chicago layover in either case, so that cheaper weekend hotels rates could be sought, and the Metra Weekend Pass could be utilized. Nothing is certain yet; and in fact I have not yet put together itineraries for the combined areas that include everything we will do on rail transit and commuter rail. To answer the good question regarding Austin and Little Rock (and let's not forget a one-day side trip, a round trip on the Heartland Flyer with a night in Oklahoma City. We might be able to do these three cities in another Fest trip, perhaps also going as far south as San Antonio as well, with wishful thinking that the L-STAR regional rail will be up and running anytime soon.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users