#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

As you have noticed if you've gotten this far, we have new state of the art board software.  I, like you, will take some time to get used to the new look and feel of our board.  As stated elsewhere, this change was necessary to allow us to bring our online Chat sessions to a more user friendly platform.

This topic will be for the BOARD only, and we will address the Chat elsewhere.

For now, the first change I see is that if you  have an avatar picture that normally appears by your name on board posts, you will have to manually add it once more by attaching an offline or online photo to it.

I believe that most of your other attributes such as the number of posts, birthdays, location, etc. have been successfully copied from the old software. 

I am also seeing that we no longer have the 2 lines for topic and subtopic (or use of the second line to continue a long first line).  I will investigate how many characters are allowed in the remaining one line.    The subtopic line was replaced by a "Topic Tags" field, which to me is really unnecessary if we stick to the standard transit agency acronyms we have used all along -- that allows posts to be found by the board search engines.

More as we  go along and make our own discoveries.  If you have any issues, questions, or observations about the new board please post them here.

EDIT: Remember we have a "sandbox" area called  Learn Invision Board where you can play with things and test some of the attributes outside of our on-topic posts.     http://www.on-track-...hp?showforum=16

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:53 PM

I also found that the new board indicated I had not read anything!  I spent a few minutes going in to each Forum and Sub-Forum clicking "Mark this forum as read."  I expect I will be able to quickly identify new posts.

Ross

#3 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

I observed another interesting trait.  I see that Yahoo, Google, and Bing have joined Kevin, Penny and myself on the board!

I now know why it sometimes appears we have so many guests "surfing' our board;  the search engines are surfing amongst us!

Ross :ph34r:

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

Ross, that's been happening all along with Google -- although the Yahoo! and Bing I hadn't seen before.  These search engine surfers are known as "Spiders".  This is how search engines "find" posts on our board if somebody is looking for a particular topic.  The spiders read or scan through all of the board posts ahead of time on a periodic basis so that the posts will then come up if somebody is searching for a topic that happens to have been covered on our board.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:52 PM

Thanks Alan and Kevin for making this happen.  I look forward to a Java-free chat on Sunday.

#6 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

I noticed that the "CODE" tags did not carry forward to the new software. That kind of makes a mess of the format of the mileage reports. I went back and re-tagged this month's reports, the October end of month report, and the 2013 end of year report. I'll let the others go for now. The reports I did not update are readable, but it takes a little imagination. Great job, by the way!

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

It looks like more than one person, including myself is also having issues with the embedded [url=] tags.  We are ok posting URL's outside of this formatting, but [url=] is not doing its job,  at least for now

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

whicj

It looks like more than one person, including myself is also having issues with the embedded [url=] tags.  We are ok posting URL's outside of this formatting, but [url=] is not doing its job,  at least for now

I spent some time unsuccessfully trying to make it work.  I decided to use the format produced by the "Link" icon, which seems to post a significantly abbreviated form of the url.  I hope we can find a way to post them like the old board did.

Ross

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:04 PM

I did just somehow do a link to Google in the Test forum, and it worked. But it's not consistent.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

If you were used to just typing the url= under the old software you needed to put the link in quotes.  With the new software you do not need to enclose it in quotes.

Example without quotes:

MSN

With quotes:

[url="http://www.msn.com"]MSN[/rul]

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users