#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

This thread is to document your trips home from the Fest, after the last train you ride with the group.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I had two choices for getting home from Charlotte, a non-stop flight to Philadelphia for $422, or a connection through Boston for $133. Hmm. I’m willing to pay a bit extra to get a non-stop and limit exposure to issues (particularly in mid-summer), but an extra $289 is more than “a bit”, so the Boston connection it was. My flight to Boston was at 9:40am. After having breakfast at the hotel, I left the hotel by cab at about 7:15 and was at the airport, through security, and in the US Airways Club at 7:45. Fast cab and fast security. Flight 1800 to BOS left on-time and arrived Boston at 11:58, eight minutes late. En route we passed over Raleigh when the Carolinian with the fest group was down there somewhere, and later passed just east of Philadelphia with a nice view of the city and the airport. Kind of funny. Hung out at the US Club BOS, snacked a lunch of sorts, and waited for Flight 1605 at 1:30pm to Philadelphia. We were a little late pushing due to the need to repair a broken tray table, then we held on the ground by air traffic control due to congestion at PHL. We got released and off the ground about 2:15, and arrived at Philadelphia at 3:24pm – 17 minutes late. Not too bad considering the things that can go wrong with summer travel. I was home about 4:15. Put another trip in the books.

#3 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

I had two choices for getting home from Charlotte, a non-stop flight to Philadelphia for $422, or a connection through Boston for $133. Hmm. I’m willing to pay a bit extra to get a non-stop and limit exposure to issues (particularly in mid-summer), but an extra $289 is more than “a bit”, so the Boston connection it was.

Not to mention a few extra EQM :)

#4 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Not to mention a few extra EQM :)

Wow! I hadn't thought of that! Oh, maybe I had. :P

#5 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

woke up on 66 in Stamford with the conductor telling a nearby passenger about a wire that came down causing a fire in the transformer(not clear yet what the problem is fully but fire was involved). rescue engine sent from New Haven and the changeover is going to be made in STM rather than farther up in NHV. 67(18) is stuck three tracks over waiting for out engine. we didn't leave STM until 5:30 putting us about 2 hours behind. Editted to say that the crew outlawed at New Haven making us wait while another crew takes over thereby extending the 66's trip by another hour.

Edited by EdFindlay, 19 July 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

So that poor train was "CSX'ed" in Virginia, and it was...... Oh what is the verb form of Metro North? "MN'ed"? Ed let us know here when you finally show up in Boston!!!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

There was also a freight derailment on the metro north route along the Hudson. It's supposed to be cleaned up today so hopefully tomorrows 49 goes.

#8 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

So that poor train was "CSX'ed" in Virginia, and it was...... Oh what is the verb form of Metro North? "MN'ed"? Ed let us know here when you finally show up in Boston!!!

Funny I read this and we get word that there is only single trackage several miles east of New Haven so of course we have to wait for the westbound SLE/MN train to pass through before we can east...so I have been Amtraked in addition to CSXed and MNed. The fun just keeps getting better!

ETA from the conductors is 11:15 am approximately barring no further delays.

Edited by EdFindlay, 19 July 2013 - 07:40 AM.

#9 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

There was also a freight derailment on the metro north route along the Hudson. It's supposed to be cleaned up today so hopefully tomorrows 49 goes.

The derailment was in the Metro North only section of the line between Spuyten Duyvil and Grand Central and did not affect Amtrak operation.

#10 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

I am on 97 (19) right now. We seem to be running up to speed but I will have to guess since I can not get my new Motion X app on my iPod to work. We were almost 3 hours late leaving WAS. From what I understand, 83 was disabled around BWI and 400 passengers were transferred to Marc, 97 and 188., thus causing a major north and southbound delay. I had been in the Club Acela off and on all day (since 9:30am) and was very pleased when the AC got fixed. I was able to watch Kevin and Steve eat lunch, visit with my sister and be at lunch with her, watch Joes consume liquid, chat with Joes later in the day in the lounge, have a happy hour drink at union station with a friend, make lots of new friends in the lounge while waiting for a late train, send lots of texts and emails, eat way too many pretzels, etc. I had a busy and enjoyable day. Since it is almost tomorrow, I think I should get ready for bed, or possibly try to get a stamp for Ashland, which we should be approaching soon. Too bad I am not sure where I am.... But I am what I am. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users