#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82698 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:31 AM

Use this thread to report your travels from home to the start point (wherever you are boarding Train 147, but not including the trip on 147 itself).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82698 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:39 AM

My trip was supposed to be part of a longer time away from home, starting Thursday to Providence, RI, and then on Acela on Friday from there to Washington, DC.  As the storm named Elsa came up the coast, it became apparent that the storm would affect my walk between the hotel and PVD train station on Friday morning, so I decided with only 4 hours until the deadline for hotel cancellation to scrub that portion of the trip.   Both Acelas (First Class so fully refundable) and the hotel were cancelled, and I rebooked on another later Acela from Metropark to Washington for Friday afternoon -- safe that the storm would be past the area by then.    I expect the rest of my trip to be as planned, including the Friday night stay in Washington, and meeting some from the group there on Saturday before boarding 147.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

I walked from home to a SunRail station, boarded SunRail to ORL, then boarded 98 where I am now.  We are heading into JAX early.  Jis and I plan to have dinner in the dining car around 5:30.  So far, so good.  

#4 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:41 PM

Left work about a half hour early today. Drove home, grabbed my bags, and took the bus to MSP airport (three buses are now required with 10 minute transfers between each bus.) Made it to the airport plenty early - enough time to check a bag, make it through security, and grab some food at McDonald's. Now waiting at the gate and listening to someone snore off and on. Not sure if they're on our flight or not.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82698 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:50 PM

My trip down to Washington from Metropark on Acela 2163 was smooth..... once it came.   It picked me up in Metropark about 17 minutes late, and thanks to the wonders of schedule padding arrived into Washington, DC's Union Station only 14 minutes late. Great to get back those 3 minutes.... or did I?

Service was decent, save for the undercooked cheeseburger served me in First Class.  Maybe that was payback for the cheeseburger I had on a Regional earlier this week that came out of the microwave with smoke coming out of the blackened bun.  Someday they'll learn.

I'm staying in Washington at the Hilton Capitol Hill, which is relatively new to the Hilton chain although it existed before as an independent hotel called Washington Court.  Only 2 blocks from Union Station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:29 PM

I flew from Chicago to Hartford Bradley airport on United. The flight was on time and uneventful. The Lyft ride to the Springfield Hilton Garden Inn was pleasant. There is a pizzeria Uno attached to the hotel. I had a late snack. I have a scheduled Lyft booked to the station tomorrow.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82698 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:34 PM

The Lyft ride to the Springfield Hilton Garden Inn was pleasant. There is a pizzeria Uno attached to the hotel. I had a late snack. 

You re-created what the group did 2-1/4 years ago in 2019 when we had the NYMA RailFest, stayed at that HGI, and ate at the same Uno.   You went a long way from Chicago to get Chicago pizza.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:51 PM

Flight was uneventful and arrived about 20 minutes early. Quick checked baggage claim and a frequent shuttle meant that I was in my hotel about 30 minutes after landing. Had a too-expensive cold sandwich and chips, but brought my own drinks from home. At least buying the food at the hotel meant that I earned a few points (otherwise I'd get zero as it's a Priceline booking.)

Planning on swinging by a grocery store tomorrow on the Metroway to grab a sandwich for the train trip, then Ben's Chili Bowl for lunch before meeting others at Union Station.

#9 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:53 AM

98 arrived in WAS 33 minutes early (before breakfast was normally served).  However, a very kind LSA brought breakfast to Jis and me.  He will be my LSA on 91 on my way home.  :)  

We are in the lounge in WAS now.  We have a very long wait until 147.  Soon, I probably will go outside walk around.

#10 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 12:05 PM

Waiting for 147 at the glorious Trenton Transportation Center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users