#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

Once again we pulled off another successful RailFest.  It was cold, but not terribly.  We lucked out with temperatures on Friday evening and the weekend days, and finished before it they dropped to an uncomfortable level Sunday night.  The drama came at the end with a snowstorm with the area's first accumulation of the year, but it was not too bad. 

I want to thank everyone who participated at one time or another over the weekend.  Most appreciative to those who helped out with the planning and suggestions of what to do.  Mahoney's in Poughkeepsie was spotted by me a few years ago and a mental note was made to consider it on the next New York-based Fest.  Once suggested, it met with approval when we discussed it on the Sunday chat.  Penny gets the accolades for calling the restaurant several times starting in the Fall, and up to the northbound trip on the train to Poughkeepsie to confirm our count of people.

As always I tried to keep up with each day's activities and kept track of our 23 participants' comings and goings as each of the 3 days completed. 

Besides the changes already detailed in each day's follow-up reports, the homepage has been rewritten in the past tense.

We look forward now to our summer event in 6 months.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

Thank you Kevin for a well planned and well executed fest.  I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting some new ones.  

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Our Fest History has been updated to include this past weekend's Fest.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:37 PM

Thanks to Kevin for his outstanding planning and to Penny for her arranging the NYRF.

It was a great experience and joyful time.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

I was asked the week before the Fest what the record was for participation in the January winter RailFests.   The record attendance since I started planning them in 2001 (not including MetroFest 2001 for which we have no records since it was before they were kept, and besides -- Don Weinstein ran that one) was Big Apple RailFest 2006 with 21, and we tied it again in 2015 at Washington Area RailFest with 21.

This Fest we had 23 people involved at one time or another, so we established a new record.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

Thanks to Kevin for his outstanding planning and to Penny for her arranging the NYRF.

It was a great experience and joyful time.

Dick, I am pretty sure you did not mean to thank me for arranging the NYRF.  I helped with the group dinner at Mahoney's by making some phone calls - but even that was at Kevin's suggestion and under his supervision.  Kevin deserves all the kudos.  (I think I like talking on the phone more than he does) :)

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:50 AM

If you have not already done so, and are a member of this board and were one of the 23 people present at New York RailFest 2016, please post your Amtrak mileage to, during, and from the Fest in the Mileage Tally forum under the appropriate thread (Post your Mileage Here). You might feel that your mileage is insignificant or that you have no chance of "winning" the tally, but it is simply a fun exercise we have participated in since our inception. And every little bit helps to boost our total for the year, which we can then compare to previous years.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:26 AM

I had a wonderful time with mostly familiar and a few new faces.  Mahoney's absolutely knocked it out of the park serving all of us.  Huge portions, and very friendly and accommodating.   Thank you KK, Penny, and everyone else involved in this fest.  I can't wait for the next one.  

Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:17 AM

I gave Mahoney's a great review on TripAdvisor, and applauded them for serving 20 of us quickly. Of course my main concern was timekeeping, as we had a train to catch. They got us out of there, full, with time to spare.   My 12 ounce steak looked like a 12 ounce steak, but some of it was fat and had to be left behind.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 09:40 AM

It's safe to say that this is not the first time we dodged a weather bullet. Had the weather being experienced in the Northeast been one week earlier, it would have been a disaster for us.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users