#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:22 AM

Well, MTA New York City Transit has given me their obligatory snag. :angry: :angry: It was pointed out to me that they have posted their expected closures for the weekend of our fest. And the winner of this year's snag is:

(drumroll, please....)

The M line, between Broadway/Myrtle and Middle Village/Metropolitan Avenue (which is the entire M line shuttle running on weekends) will be bustituted all day Saturday and Sunday (except overnight periods).

This effectively leaves a 35-minute hole in my fest. :angry:

Now obviously we can just remain on the J line at Broadway/Myrtle and skip the M. But that means less train riding than you are coming to New York to do, so I've had to look for an alternative.

Remember when I was worried about construction on the L route thwarting the original plans? As it turns out, the only diversion on that line over our Fest weekend will be a closure of the line within Manhattan, between the 8th Avenue terminus and Union Square. So we can do the L line between Broadway Junction and Canarsie/Rockaway Parkway as an alternative.

I have lately been feverishly working on the route guides, and I certainly did not need this waste of time in creating a guide for the M line that we now won't be able to take. Plus I now have to do something for the L route and also adjust the J guide to relect the changed stops we will be making.

In addition, did you know that effective with the November 2004 system map, they did away with the Blue S for the Rockaway Shuttle, and they now use the same black or gray S as the Times Square and Franklin Avenue shuttles? This is reflected on the train itself, as I saw it last week when I did my dry run.

The updated itinerary is here.

... and now you know why my itineraries are marked as "tentative" until the last possible minute. :rolleyes:

Edited by KevinKorell, 09 January 2005 - 04:05 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 NickG

NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:29 PM

I actually checked the MTA's website towards the end of the day on Friday (which is usually when the service advisories are updated). All of the service disruptions had been posted except for that one. Better check the site again next Friday in case the MTA tries to sneak another service change in there. Though if they do, it'll probably just be a train bypassing a few stops--bus-bridges probably require more lead time to plan.

Well, now I'll be able to hear "This is Canarsie-Rrrrockaway Parkway!" on the L. Yes, the announcement really sounds like that.

Another recent change to the subway map: at most stations where a connection is available to Metro-North or LIRR, the appropriate commuter railroad is now included in the list of lines that serve the station. Example: "Grand Central-42 St. 4, 5, 6, 7, S, Metro-North"
Nick Gibbon

New York, NY/Philadelphia, PA

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:01 PM

And as we noticed on the fest, after all of the above, the MTA at the last minute cancelled the bustitution and was running its regular M shuttle train. The real problem we had was that with diversions on sections of the J and L lines other than where we were riding, they were not following normal schedules. That threw our times out of whack and caused longer waits, particularly at Broadway Junction for the L train.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users