#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

It's time to party once more! Metro New York RailFest 2009 will feature rides on NJ TRANSIT, AirTrain Newark, Metro North, and Shore Line East. Come out and ride with us as we explore the rails three days in three states!

The dates will be Friday, January 16th, Saturday, January 17th, and Sunday, January 18th. As is the custom for our January meets, we will get as much riding in as we can during the limited daylight hours.

On Friday, we will take a round trip on NJ TRANSIT's Raritan Valley Line. Unlike our trip to Raritan in 2005, we will ride all the way out to High Bridge and return.

Saturday, the optional morning activity will be AirTrain Newark. The six people who were involved in JerseyFest 2002 in October of that year may remember that this was scheduled for that time. We got to the airport and paid our fares for the AirTrain only to find out there was substitute bus service. That disappointment on that fest was followed by getting everyone's money back, which eventually we did. As we know the AirTrain costs $5.50 each way when one enters or exits the system at the Newark Airport Rail Station. That will be $11 plus the regular cost of your train fare. There is also a larger surcharge for AirTrain if you happen to board or detrain NJT in New York City.

The afternoon fun will take us up along the Hudson River to Poughkeepsie and back. For this journey, we will take Metro North's Hudson Line from Grand Central Terminal to Poughkeepsie, and Amtrak back from Poughkeepsie to New York Penn Station. This was changed per some discussions we had in Boston. Originally it was Amtrak first with a return on Metro North.

On Sunday we head for our third state, Connecticut. We will take Metro North's New Haven Line from Grand Central to New Haven, then Shore Line East from there to Old Saybrook. We return on SLE from Old Saybrook to New Haven, have a late lunch, and then take Metro North back to New York. There are some Amtrak return options here from either Old Saybrook or New Haven, but due to their cost and the fact it is Sunday, they were ruled out as an official activity.

You can access the homepage as well as the itinerary. Please start e-mailing me with your planned attendance (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, all, or any combination of those days) and a guest list will be put together. A costs page is also in progress.

We have a little under two months to go at the time of this writing. It would be best to make your travel and hotel reservations as soon as you can. This is the weekend before the presidential inauguration, and hotels are already selling out in quite a few east coast cities far removed from Washington. Also, Amtrak is almost entirely sold out into and out of Washington around that time, so if you are coming and going by train from the Midwest you should consider the Lake Shore Limited rather than the trains that serve Washington, DC.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:32 AM

Guest list has now been created. Please let me know if you should be on the list but aren't, are on the list in error, or if the days you will be attending are incorrect.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:15 AM

Guest list has now been created. Please let me know if you should be on the list but aren't, are on the list in error, or if the days you will be attending are incorrect.

I would have loved to join y'all, but I will be on the other side of the globe those three days. On the 16th I will be starting my trip from Calcutta to New Delhi by Rajdhani Express from Howrah Station at 5pm IST, arriving New Delhi Station on the 17th at 10am IST and on the 18th I will be riding the entire Delhi Metro system.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

I would have loved to join y'all, but I will be on the other side of the globe those three days. On the 16th I will be starting my trip from Calcutta to New Delhi by Rajdhani Express from Howrah Station at 5pm IST, arriving New Delhi Station on the 17th at 10am IST and on the 18th I will be riding the entire Delhi Metro system.

Jishnu,

Sorry you can't join us on this one. Looks like we'll be having a Simul-Fest, the time zone difference notwithstanding. But sorry, I don't expect to be able to work your portion into the report, as what happens in NJ, NY, and CT is more than enough! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

Ya Kevin, you forgot to add me on to the guest list. I am in for all 3 days. Jack

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

Ya Kevin, you forgot to add me on to the guest list. I am in for all 3 days.

Jack

Sorry Jack, you're on now for all 3 days.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:20 PM

I hope its not to late I just talked my dad into coming with me so if you could add me Stephen Montero and my father Craig Montero we would love to join you on Sunday for the ride to CT and Back thanks looking forward to it steve

Edited by Long Train Runnin', 21 December 2008 - 03:45 PM.

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

OK Steve, I will e-mail you within the next couple of days regarding further information on your plans.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:59 PM

OK Steve, I will e-mail you within the next couple of days regarding further information on your plans.

Thanks I'll look out for the email

#10 Railette

Railette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:35 AM

Oh Jishnu, it won't be the same without you. At least we'll all be riding the rails on the same days. :-) You'll be missed!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users