#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

Very small change was made to the itinerary, dated 4/23/14. If you notice some columns are wider, it is because I inadvertently forgot to include time zones. I felt this was needed to clarify our expected (and eventual actual) calling times at Amtrak start and end points. Many of us will travel through all 4 time zones in the continental USA, if we live on the east coast and travel as far west as Reno, which is Pacific Time. With last year's Fest being solely in the East, thereby making time zones unnecessary, it becomes much more important for this upcoming journey. So you will see CDT (Central Daylight), MDT (Mountain Daylight), and PDT (Pacific Daylight) for all Amtrak departures and arrivals. For the pages of city transit lines or commuter rail, well everything in that area is in one time zone, so it is indicated at the top of that day's chart.

http://kevinkorell.c...itinrockies.htm

Edited by KevinKorell, 27 May 2014 - 10:42 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Very small change was made to the itinerary, dated 4/23/14. If you notice some columns are wider, it is because I inadvertently forgot to include time zones. I felt this was needed to clarify our expected (and eventual actual) calling times at Amtrak start and end points. Many of us will travel through all 4 time zones in the continental USA, if we live on the east coast and travel as far west as Reno, which is Pacific Time. With last year's Fest being solely in the East, thereby making time zones unnecessary, it becomes much more important for this upcoming journey. So you will see CDT (Central Daylight), MDT (Mountain Daylight), and PDT (Pacific Daylight) for all Amtrak departures and arrivals. For the pages of city transit lines or commuter rail, well everything in that area is in one time zone, so it is indicated at the top of that page.

http://kevinkorell.c...itinrockies.htm

One other very minor correction is the arrival time of the westbound Zephyr in Reno. The arrival time of #5 at RNO is 8:25am. 8:36am is the departure time. The arrival time does not show on the printed (PDF) timetable, but it shows when you access train status for RNO.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

One other very minor correction is the arrival time of the westbound Zephyr in Reno. The arrival time of #5 at RNO is 8:25am. 8:36am is the departure time. The arrival time does not show on the printed (PDF) timetable, but it shows when you access train status for RNO.

Oh, great, another 11 minutes to kill in Reno. :rolleyes: That is, assuming we arrive on time, otherwise it's all moot. I'll fix by tomorrow.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

As promised, change to Reno arrival has been made.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Based on the June 9, 2014 Amtrak schedule changes, no updates to the itinerary are necessary for the California Zephyr.

However it is not a bad idea to check the other trains you intend to take before and after the official trip segments.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

ITINERARY CHANGE

This is strictly within Salt Lake City, so it won't affect your hotel or travel plans, before anyone becomes alarmed. What I did was to swap our riding of the Blue Line to Draper and the entire Red Line, so that we do the southern portion of the Blue Line first, and then switch to the Red Line and finish up with the University segment of the Red Line last. This way we eliminate a little bit of backtracking along the main trunk line, and also end up at the Trolley Square station, which is on the Red Line and closest to the Old Spaghetti Factory where I expect we will have dinner that night. The end has us returning from Trolley to Courthouse, then switching back to the Blue Line to return to Central Station, near which most of our hotels should be. The last part is subject to how long the meal takes, but it all will have already been covered earlier in the day.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

If you notice something else different, I split off the Itinerary into its own topic, so that I don't have to keep on refreshing the original announcement. Here we can (and already have) discussed any changes to what was originally posted as planning continues.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Now several days before most of us leave home, a late itinerary change has been made. Thanks to Bill for catching this. In Denver, I had us experiencing "High Speed Light Rail" by going on the D route from I-25/Broadway to Littleton/Mineral in 4 minutes, when it should have been 14 minutes. This sets back 2 subsequent segments also on the D line by 15 minutes, thus we get to lunch downtown 15 minutes later. This should not affect the afternoon activities.

Sorry about that, if anyone has already downloaded or printed out the itinerary.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

I made a PDF from Kevin's itinerary page and it is attached here. You can download it and put it on your smartphone or tablet as a handy, paper-free reference.

Attached Files

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

As everyone should know, itineraries are marked as Tentative until we execute them. Because of our very late arrival into Salt Lake City at 4:31 AM, I changed our plans around so that we start about an hour later in the morning. The changes to the itinerary are as follows:
  • Meet at Central Station about 10:30 AM, get our tickets
  • Leave Central Station on Blue Line 10:42 AM to Arena, detrain to switch to Green Line SOUTHBOUND. Airport segment eliminated & moved to Tuesday.
  • Those originating from Arena, Green Line towards West Valley City leaves 10:58 AM.
  • Trip to West Valley is same run we would have been on had we been coming from the airport.
  • Shorter lunch dwell at Valley Fair Mall will get us finished earlier on Monday evening, bringing us to dinner earlier and back to our hotels earlier for possibly the only full night's sleep in a non-train bed. Thus most points in the itinerary are up to 1/2 hour EARLIER than before. We then get to dinner around 5:15 rather than 5:45 PM. After dinner light rail times are arbitrary based on how long the meal takes and whether some can walk from downtown stations to their hotels rather than going all the way back to Central Station.
  • Tuesday is the same as before with FrontRunner, however on the return from Ogden we detrain at North Temple Bridge, go upstairs to Green Line, and ride out the airport. Then return from airport to downtown.

Edited by KevinKorell, 14 July 2014 - 07:55 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users