#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:00 AM

For our time in the Twin Cities, we have one full day in town (Saturday, July 18th).  We arrive into St. Paul on the Empire Builder on Friday 7/17 long after dinnertime, and will leave St. Paul on Sunday 7/19, potentially for breakfast on the train but given the train's timekeeping probably not likely.  Thus breakfast on Saturday and Sunday mornings can be had at our hotels, if desired. 

Lunch on Saturday coincides with our riding Metro Transit's Blue Line to its endpoint at Mall of America.  There are 50 restaurants scattered within the mall, and some are clustered around food courts.  More than likely everyone will find something to eat there, although given the size of the mall we may not all be able to eat in the same area. Saturday also being the biggest shopping day of the week makes it unlikely we will find enough seat together anyhow.   My listing for the mall

For dinner the idea has been to eat somewhere in Minneapolis, in between our Northstar round trip and returning to St. Paul for the evening on the Green Line.  The trunk light rail line running across downtown Minneapolis carries both the Blue and Green Lines along 5th Street. You can judge, therefore, that a restaurant on 7th Street would be 2 blocks from there, adding possibly some walk on 5th Street itself from a light rail station.  The two lines split east of the Downtown East station, where the new stadium is under construction to replace the Metrodome.  The places listed along the Green Line only are outside the downtown core but still technically in Minneapolis.

For this list, there will be a link to the restaurant itself, its menu, its address, and how far a walk it is from the nearest light rail station.  This list, in no particular order, is being provided as a means for discussion, however you will quickly see that some may be too expensive or several blocks walk.

Big 10 Restaurant & Bar   Menu  606 Washington Ave. SE, Mpls  --  Green Line Eastbank, then ½ block walk

Old Spaghetti Factory      Menu  233 Park Ave., Mpls  -  Blue or Green Lines Downtown East, then 2 ½ block walk

Republic     Menu   221 Cedar Ave S Mpls – Green Line Westbank, then 2 block walk

Keys   Menu   114 S. 9th St. Mpls   --  Blue or Green Lines Nicollet Mall, then 4 block walk

Mission American Kitchen & Bar   Menu   77 S. 7th St.  Mpls    -- Blue or Green Lines Nicollet Mall then 3 block walk

Firelake Grill House  Menu  31 S. 7th St.  Mpls    -- Blue or Green Lines Nicollet Mall then 3 block walk

McCormick & Schmick’s   Menu  800 Nicollet Mall  Mpls   -- Blue or Green Lines Nicollet Mall, then 3 ½ block walk

More can be considered and added to this list if found or suggested.   Thanks to Steve and Penny for helping to create this list.   As I said with Pittsburgh, the choices are being provided now for discussion.  If there is no discussion, or everyone decides to defer to others, then irrevocable decisions will have to be made. The goal is not to be still talking about this a week before the Fest.  So let's hear your opinions, or further suggestions, and I'll add mine as well.  It may  be possible that the group splits up at multiple locations if a unanimous decision cannot be reached.

To add more places for consideration, another option can be to immediately take the Green Line back from Target Field Station to St. Paul - bypassing any restaurants in downtown Minneapolis. Under that option we could dine at our respective hotels, using our room tabs to increase the amount of points credited to our loyalty programs and to Amtrak Guess Rewards through the double dip feature of Hilton HHonors.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:46 AM

I found a couple of more restaurants

Zelo   Menu   831 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, Blue or Green Lines Nicollet Mall, then 4 block walk

8th Street Grill   Menu  800 Marquette Ave, Minneapolis, Blue or Green Lines Nicollet Mall, then 3 1/2 block walk

Edit:  The link to the 8th St. Grill is a yelp listing.  There is apparently an 8th street grill in Michigan that I originally linked.  Sorry.

Edited by pennyk, 21 June 2015 - 07:24 AM.

#3 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

I am hoping that Jeb will chime in since he is local and has dined at several of the restaurants on the list.

I will comment about my choices but keep in mind that I am not a typical eater (and I really like craft beer).

My first choice is Republic (only 2 blocks from transit, interesting and affordable menu)

I also like Firelake Grill house (only 3 blocks from transit, interesting menu, however a bit on the pricey side)

Although 8th Street Grill is a longer walk, I think the menu is interesting.

The three restaurants I listed above have a local flavor, which I like.  Old Spaghetti Factory is probably last on my list since I have had group dinners at 2 different OSF's, and I would prefer a restaurant with local flavor.  Even though I like McCormick and Schmick's a lot (and have dined at this one about 10 years ago), I would prefer a local restaurant (that is a bit more affordable).

Although Big Ten is very close to transit, its menu seems to be very limited.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:50 PM

I should add again that even when we narrow down to a short list of places, we still need to find one that conforms to our needs (ability to handle about 12-13 people, or whatever our final count is, seating with ease for everyone getting in and out, separate checks, etc.).  Another concern I thought of is that on a Saturday evening there could be a dress code in some places that most of us probably won't conform to. A nicer steakhouse may require slacks for instance instead of jeans or shorts.

Here are my thoughts. The #1 reason for us to be in any city during a Fest is to ride trains.  Secondly is getting a good meal for dinner to celebrate the feat we accomplished of riding all the trains in that city.  To me that usually means a decent sized but affordable steak, or large portion of chicken or an Italian dish. What I wash it down with is very low on the list.  And those liquid items can be purchased anytime, anyplace in one's hotel. Therefore the presence of a bar or such beverages is not as important a key in the decision to be made as the above criteria in choosing a place to eat.  I want to walk out of the place full of food, not stagger out with a clouded mind.  On the similar note, I believe we want to stay away from burgers, since no doubt that will be a lunch item on the train the next day. If one really wants a hamburger, the standard fast food chains can be found along the light rail lines for much less cost.   But that is not what we are searching for here.

That said, while McCormick & Schmick's has some selections for "land lubbers" , they are costly and also contain sides based on seafood (such as "Lobster Mashed Potatoes"), which kind of defeats the purpose of not having seafood. It is also one of the longer walks from light rail, which might be difficult for some.   Big Ten I would rule out even though it's closest to light rail, based on its status as a sports bar adjacent to the University and its menu that heavily favors burgers, subs, and wings.

Republic looks like a decent place, closer to light rail, but the menu does not excite me. I see only 3 entrées on the menu other than standard burger, taco, and breakfast fare, and their sandwiches while they look good, seem more appropriate for lunch.  

Keys & Mission American are on the same block downtown. but both have exotic looking menus or even more exotic prices.  Firelake seems reasonable, but exotic foods (Bison Bone Marrow ??!!).  I could deal with the menus at 8th Street Grill, or Zelo's, if others can deal with the walk. I do see items satisfactory to me on both menus.

Old Spaghetti Factory would be my favorite since it's known and reasonable, and doesn't have local flavor. Remember they usually have a trolley within the restaurant (which continues our Trains theme) although usually it is not comfortable to dine within it if people are seated in there because of the cramped space.

Finally, remember that it may be permissible to agree to disagree, and thus split into smaller groups to attend a place of our choices if we remain far apart.  There can still be camaraderie among smaller groups. 

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

I have eaten at a Spaghetti Factory and found it good.  Republic looks good too.

McCormick's is a fine restaurant, but I have found it usually busy, loud and pricey.

I saw a couple that had private rooms, which may be good for us.

Dick.

#6 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:32 PM

Out of the ones listed, I have ate at Zelo, Republic, and probably Old Spaghetti Factory.

Looking at Big 10, I would tend to vote "no" on that, but I have never been there. Maybe it says something that I can't remember going to Old Spaghetti Factory, even though I think I've been there. 

I went to Republic a few weeks ago for a late supper with my significant other. I found their burger extremely tasty, which surprised me (I was expecting a good burger, but this one went above and beyond that.) I would agree that I do not recall seeing any "large plate" type meals, which is okay with me but might not be for some. This place would have a much larger selection than any hotel restaurant I've been to for drink selection, so if we do not go there for the supper I would recommend those who enjoy craft beers to make a stop there and try one.

I did go to Zelo a few years back with my then-significant other. For a downtown location's sit-down restaurant, the prices were very reasonable and their entrees were excellent. I do not recall if they had a dress code or not, but I don't recall dressing with a suit and tie...if they have anything at all (which I do not remember them having) it would have been a polo or button-down shirt with khakis. I didn't dress to the nines for that meal.  :) I cannot comment from personal experience on their adult beverage selection, as I was not of age when I went there.

My first choice would be Zelo. The walk would probably be about 4/10 of a mile (each block is very roughly 1/10 of a mile.) For those that the distance is worrisome, there are many buses along Nicollet Mall that could offer a lift for that distance and should not cost any extra (transfers are free and unlimited for as long as your ticket is valid, and the 10 bus line charges no fare along Nicollet Mall going south, and there's another bus line going north that does the same.)

I would prefer not going to a chain as I can do that anytime, and Minneapolis and St. Paul have many great independent offerings that I enjoy and would recommend to visitors to the area.

#7 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Kevin and I are about 180 degrees apart when it comes to restaurant and food choices.

I am more concerned about quality of food than quantity of food.  And, although I drink a beer with most meals while on vacation, I am not not alcoholic, or a stumbling down drunk.

Hopefully others (in the middle) will chime in.

Edited by pennyk, 21 June 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#8 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

My three top choices would be Fire Lake, Mission and Republic. I'm pretty much OK with any of the options, but agree with Penny's thought to seek out a place that is not a national chain. 

As for a dress code, I sincerely doubt that is an issue at any of the places listed.  For better or worse, restaurant dress codes are increasingly rare and limited to very high-end, exclusive places.  None of the places listed would fit that description.

#9 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

Republic would be a very close second for me as well, and would highly recommend it. The food there that I have had is quite good and there would almost certainly be room for us (there was a group of 10 sitting next to us outside with no issues.) I also like that the entrees are under $20, which is a very nice price point for me. Being near a college I would expect them to be familiar with groups of 10-12 splitting checks as well.

Edited by jebr, 21 June 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#10 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

1st choice spaghetti factory
2nd choice 8th street grill.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users