KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

Keystone Excursion, Saturday November 11, 2006

I sent e-mail to most regular Fest participants regarding the above choices for November. The response was definitely in favor of a one-day Harrisburg round trip and most favored doing it on a Saturday. So we can do Vermont another time, perhaps when Business Class is available on the Vermonter and when the weather is a bit warmer.

Meanwhile, I have revised the itinerary for a Keystone Excursion, since I had originally worked it out for a weekday. I found 5 different options, based on how long we stay in Harrisburg and whether we eat lunch there, aboard the PENNSYLVANIAN if we choose one of those options, or when we get back to Philadelphia if we choose the earliest return train. Remember that Keystone Corridor trains do not have food service.

The homepage for this one-day Fest is here.

The choices of possible itineraries are here. Please send me e-mail with your favorite option, and once again, majority will rule.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

Please, if you have not already done so, e-mail me if you are planning to attend the Keystone Excursion. Also, please state your preference of itinerary referenced in the above post. So far, one option is ahead of the others, but as to not sway anyone's vote, I won't announce it publicly. I will announce on Friday 10/27 which option has won.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

Well, I believe I have received all the responses I am going to get.

Option #3 wins hands down! (Option #5 was in second place and Option #4 was in third place.) And between Options #1 and #2, only one vote was received, for the former.

This means that those leaving from New York City will be taking Amtrak's Keystone 663, leaving Penn Station at 9:09 AM. This train makes intermediate stops at Newark Penn, Princeton Junction, and Trenton before reaching Philadelphia. Those originating from Philly will leave there at 10:45 AM. This train is a semi-express of sorts, making stops in Pennsylvania at Paoli, Exton, Parkesburg, Lancaster, Elizabethtown, and Middletown before coming into Harrisburg. It does not stop at Ardmore, Downingtown, Coatesville, or Mount Joy.

We arrive in Harrisburg at 12:25 PM. Now some of you may wish to hang around the station during our 40-minute layover. You have the option of having lunch aboard our return train, which is the PENNSYLVANIAN, Train 42. Those who wish to can hustle over to Strawberry Square and grab lunch to go from one of the places in its food court. It would be safest to bring the food back to the station and either eat it there or hold onto it for the train trip.

Train 42 arrives into Harrisburg from Pittsburgh at 12:45 PM, and we will depart at 1:05 PM. Boarding will probably take place soon after the train arrives, so those with take-out lunch can take their seats and begin eating.

The eastbound PENNSYLVANIAN stops at Elizabethtown, Lancaster, Exton, and Paoli, before arriving in Philadelphia at 2:55 PM. It does not stop at Middletown, Mount Joy, Parkesburg, Coatesville, Downingtown, or Ardmore.

After those who joined the group detrain in Philly, this train will leave 30th Street Station at 3:25 PM. The only New Jersey stops it will make are Trenton, Princeton Junction, and Newark Penn. It arrives New York Penn Station 4:55 PM.

Since Train 42 does offer Business Class, the next question is: Will you be riding that train in Coach Class or Business Class?

Just as an example, the base coach fare between Harrisburg and Philadelphia is $20 (yes it has gone up a buck from the previous $19). The surcharge for Business Class is $6, making the entire trip $26.

So please let me know in your next e-mail whether you will go in Coach or Business on the way back. It is understood that some may be on a budget and may wish to save their money.

More updates forthcoming!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:13 PM

Well, we had voted between a Keystone Excursion and a Vermont Excursion, and now there's the bustitution of the VERMONTER during the first 12 days or so of November.

Had we chosen the Vermont trip, I would have been in a panic. Posted Image

Boy would my face have been red Posted Image!!!!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

Three days to go until Keystone Excursion 2006! Here are my plans: Michael and I will be boarding #663 in Trenton, NJ on Saturday morning at 10:04 AM. We will be detraining from #42 at the same station (what's left of it with its reconstruction project). We'll be parking in Florence and taking RiverLINE between there and Trenton. So we will not be among those who meet in New York's Penn Station or Philadelphia's 30th Street Station. In the past for fests we have met in Penn Station in the main concourse, approximately under the departures board, closest to (but not blocking) the escalator for Gate 9W/10W. In Philadelphia we usually meet at 30th Street near the center desk, but on the 29th Street side so as to not block their business (disposal of information) which is done on the 30th Street end of the desk. This would be about midway between Stairways 3 and 4. In the past, Keystone trains have usually been on Tracks (accessed by corresponding Stairways) 7, 8, 9, or 10 at 30th Street, and I don't expect this to change with the need to change engines removed. As to where to sit on the train, I suggest that those who board #663 in New York City or New Jersey head for the rearmost coach. This coach will become the frontmost coach in Philadelphia when the train changes directions. So those boarding at Pennsylvania stations should head for the front of the train. Coming back on Train #42, out of 10 people who have responded so far, 4 have indicated they will go in Coach Class, while 6 are going in Business Class. So you won't be alone no matter which option you choose, if you have not already let me know. Remember that Business Class seating is limited and our group already has reserved a good chunk (40%) of those seats. As for last minute details, if your plans change you can e-mail me this address. However Michael and I will be on a Boston trip this Thursday and Friday, so I may not see your message until either the hotel on Thursday night (if a free PC exists there), or back at home Friday night. You can also call or text my cell phone (number sent to participants via e-mail). I will try to post a final update sometime Friday evening.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:42 PM

Here is the final update for OTOL Keystone Excursion 2006. We're on for tomorrow! Here are the facts by the numbers: # of people expected: 11 # of people boarding #663 at NYP: 2 # of people boarding #663 at NWK: 1 # of people boarding #663 at TRE: 2 # of people boarding #663 at PHL: 5 # of people not riding #663: 1 # of people expected on #42 in Business Class: 7 # of people expected on #42 in Coach Class: 3 # of people not riding #42: 1 In case you're wondering, the one person not riding each train is Sloan, who lives in our destination city but will meet us for our brief visit. These numbers may change due to last-minute cancellations or others joining us, but those are the figures I have for now. Weather looks to be OK, at least for most of Saturday. It should be partly cloudy with a high in the mid-60's. A Nor'Easter storm is predicted for late night Saturday and through Sunday, but most of us should be home by then. See you tomorrow!

Edited by KevinKorell, 10 November 2006 - 11:52 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82617 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

Ten of us got together today and rode the Keystone Service train from various points along the Northeast Corridor to Harrisburg, PA. Along the way we had some great commentary on what we were seeing by Randy Resor, so special thanks to him for making it a very educational trip! Sloan joined us for our very brief stay in Harrisburg, making the eleventh participant. It was also a very nice day for railroading. And from the window of the cab car we got the engineer's point of view as we headed west to Harrisburg. To those who could not join us, you missed a wonderful time on the rails.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users