PCRF/Amtrak trips

76 replies to this topic

#31 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:48 PM

Mike and I are currently booked at the Marriott Cal/State Fullerton for Saturday and Sunday night and Monday night in San Diego at a Renaissance that is two blocks from the Amtrak station.  We would definitely join the group on the southbound leg.  If our Monday and Tuesday Night Accommodations change because of lower rates, than we will change our hotels around and may join you for the trip back to LA.

I think the 7:25 a.m. departures will be tough on individuals who are staying in outlying areas in LA.  Will the luggage storage even be open between 6:30 a.m and 7 a.m.   Will the metropolitan lounge be open?  It would IIRC on days that 1 arrives LA.  I don't know what happens on days 1 is not arriving LA. 

That chart was good work. 

Edited by steve4031, 17 May 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#32 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

I agree that the chart is very helpful.  Thanks.

Right now, I am torn between option B and and option E, but leaning towards B.  Option E concerns me because the connection time to 4 is less than 2 hours.  Kevin, if we go with option E, do you foresee us taking our luggage with us, just in case we are running late and would not have enough time to retrieve our luggage from the lounge?  I think schlepping luggage with us to San Diego is a negative and less than 2 hour connection time is also a negative.

With regard to option B, the early departure is a negative.  As Steve mentioned, the time will be tough on those staying outside of the downtown area.  According to Bill, the lounge opens at 5am, which I confirmed by looking at the lounge's facebook page and their press release.

https://www.facebook...480465992052754

I think waking up a little earlier and skipping a free breakfast may be worth avoiding the angst of worrying about missing a connection.

#33 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:08 PM

As Steve mentioned, the time will be tough on those staying outside of the downtown area.

Such as me, staying in Arcadia by the Gold Line.   Let's see what others say.  I'm not an earlybird but have arisen when I need to.  It would end up being a tough day if we started at 7:25 AM, but no doubt I'd have little trouble sleeping on the Chief that night.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#34 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

FYI, attached is a chart for the arrival of #579 into LAX from 4/1/16 to today.  It looks pretty good, except for 5/12 when it was in a "service disruption."

The May 12 Service Disruption represents the worst case scenario.  A pedestrian strike by southbound #572 closed the line and caused the cancelation of #579. The next northbound - #583 (2:40pm out of SAN) operated, but was 48 minutes late into LAX arriving at 6:28pm - 20 minutes after #4 left on-time. 

Attached File  579LAX.png   238.15KB   0 downloads

#35 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

I'd be most comfortable with plan G; but could probably live with E.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#36 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:46 PM

I'd be most comfortable with plan G; but could probably live with E.

Plan G looks pretty comfortable with departure time from LAX and return time to LAX.  Although the trip will not go all the way to San Diego, it looks like there are plenty of places to eat in Solana Beach during the layover (including a pizza place that is also a brewery).  It also looks like the beach is walking distance from the station and it appears that the Solana Beach station has an enclosed waiting room and restrooms.

I think I will change my preference to G.  

#37 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

I am looking at maps of the SOL area now, and see plenty of places to eat lunch & drink within walking distance.  There is a Subway, a few cafes, a pizza place, several beer places, a Yogurt place, and a few others.  I don't necessarily think that for lunch we need to eat all together, so Solana Beach may work out if we split up to eat then re-convene with enough time to make the northbound.   Hopefully if this option is adopted, we could find preferred seats together.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#38 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:50 PM

I looked at the map also and there is a beach/park (Fletcher Cove Beach Park) less than a half mile away from Amtrak station.  Option G is looking better and better.

About getting seats together on the return trip, maybe at that point in the trip, we will not want to sit together.  LOL

#39 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

I prefer Option G, Solana Beach.  Are we going coach or business?

#40 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

I prefer Option G, Solana Beach.  Are we going coach or business?

I am planning to travel in Business Class and I think Kevin is also.  I am not sure about everyone else.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users