#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:48 AM

This thread is for discussion of Amtrak trips during Louisiana-Texas RailFest 2018.

The official journey starts with the Crescent, Train #19(11) and ends with the Texas Eagle, Train #22(19).  Both of those would be overnight trips; no doubt most of all of us will take sleepers.

There will be two segments on the Sunset Limited, Train #1(14) NOL-HOS and #1(16) HOS-SAS.  The first leaves NOL in the morning and gets to HOS in the evening.  The second one departs HOS in the evening and gets to SAS just past 12 Midnight, about 5-1/2 hours later.   We can discuss whether we will use sleepers on each segment.

Besides the above overnight Texas Eagle trip, we will also be on the SAS-AUS segment on Train #22(18).  This is a morning trip of about 2-1/2 hours.  Again it's open to discussion what we would do for that relatively short trip.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 10:11 PM

I am leaning towards sleeper accommodation for NOL to HOS and from HOS to SAS.  However, I am not sure about SAS to AUS.  It may depend on the fare difference between coach and sleeper, which I have not checked yet.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:36 AM

So we have 5 segments on Amtrak during the 10 days.  To discuss about sleeper vs coach and any other stuff we need to talk about, let's analyze what meals as sleeper passengers we are entitled to. I am sure some know more than i do as to whether meals are served at specific times aboard these trains.

Crescent #19(11)

With a 6:30 PM scheduled departure from Washington, those who board there no doubt would take advantage of dinner. I assume that there is a seating before the train gets to Washington (for those who board in New York or Philadelphia), to be completed before arrival and the power is shut down for the engine change.

The next day, breakfast, lunch, and if memory serves me correctly from our 2009 and 2011 trips on this train, early dinner too well in advance of New Orleans arrival.

Sunset Limited #1(14)

We depart New Orleans 9 AM, so breakfast is doubtful.  Lunch definitely. Dinner has to be early seating or not at all as we are scheduled to arrive Houston at 6:18 PM.

Sunset Limited #1(16)

Departure from Houston at 6:55 PM.  Probably dinner still available. We get to San Antonio around midnight so that's it.

Texas Eagle #22(18)

A short trip from San Antonio to Austin that departs 7 AM and arrives 9:23 AM.   Very likely we would be leaving hotels too early to have their complimentary breakfast.   Assuming breakfast is served right at departure time, there would be enough time for a sit-down meal --- possibly more time than we would spend in sleepers.  Might want to weigh the cost of a sleeper vs going in coach and paying for the meal.... if you're truly a breakfast person.

Texas Eagle #22(19)

A longer trip than the previous one.  With departure from Austin 9:31 AM, in this case we've likely just had breakfast at hotels and it's probably too late anyhow.   Definitely lunch, dinner, and breakfast the morning of the 20th around St. Louis.   I don't remember from last year's MTRF trip on #22 whether an early lunch was offered before arrival into Chicago (scheduled 1:52 PM).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:49 AM

Tip for booking the Texas Eagle. Be sure to check both trains #22 (Texas Eagle SAS-CHI) and #422 (through cars from LAX-CHI).  Even though the same train, the reservation system maintains separate inventories and pricing for each. An accommodation sold out or high priced on one, may be available or lower priced on the other.

#5 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:30 PM

Tip for booking the Texas Eagle. Be sure to check both trains #22 (Texas Eagle SAS-CHI) and #422 (through cars from LAX-CHI).  Even though the same train, the reservation system maintains separate inventories and pricing for each. An accommodation sold out or high priced on one, may be available or lower priced on the other.

Let me take back all of the above, The LTRF scheduled dates for the Texas Eagle (Wed 7/18 from SAS and Thu 7/19 from AUS), are not the days for the Sunset Limited run through cars (Train #422).  Not sure what I was looking at.  Bedrooms are presently sold out from AUS to CHI on 7/19. 

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

Bedrooms are presently sold out from AUS to CHI on 7/19.

I think I may have booked the last bedroom.

#7 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Bedrooms are presently sold out from AUS to CHI on 7/19.

I think I may have booked the last bedroom.

Boo!  Actually. good for you to grab the last one.  And, the Crescent roomettes for 7/11 are one step below high bucket.

Summer travel is tough. 

#8 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 04:17 PM

I am booked for all Amtrak legs WAS to WAS. I went for Coach from SAS to AUS. I went for Roomette on both legs on train 1.

On 19 it said that there were only 2 rooms left in whatever bucket I got. didn't bother to look at the dollar price since I exercised some of my copious collection of AGR points, while I can still use them to ride LD trains ;)

#9 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

I am leaning towards sleeper accommodation for NOL to HOS and from HOS to SAS.  However, I am not sure about SAS to AUS.  It may depend on the fare difference between coach and sleeper, which I have not checked yet.

I booked a roomette from SAS to AUS.

#10 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

I booked 22 departing Tuesday Morning to return back to Chicago by Wednesday for class which starts at 5.

Ill fly to New Orleans on Thursday and meet you guys arriving on the crescent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users