#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Obviously, a same day connection can't be done between the eb and te. It might be possible to work in a morning ride on car or metra before catching the te. That early morning run out to mchenry might be possible.

You do know, Steve, that the early morning run to McHenry leaves Ogilvie TC at 5:55 AM. That is the only possible round trip on the schedule. I don't know if we would get a quorum together at that hour to consider it a Fest. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

You and me makes 2. Just need 1 more iirc. Lol

#13 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I would be interested in a Chicago to New Orleans on the CONO, then an overnight and connection with the Sunset Limited to Houston, then the Ambus to Longview followed by the Texas Eagle back to Chicago.

#14 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

I would be interested in a Chicago to New Orleans on the CONO, then an overnight
and connection with the Sunset Limited to Houston, then the Ambus to Longview
followed by the Texas Eagle back to Chicago.

Aloha

An interesting Idea.

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

I would be interested in a Chicago to New Orleans on the CONO, then an overnight
and connection with the Sunset Limited to Houston, then the Ambus to Longview
followed by the Texas Eagle back to Chicago.

And that does seem more preferable to the long overnight San Antonio layover. It probably could also work in the other direction, 21 to Longview, the bus to Houston, then next day Sunset Limited to New Orleans, and then north on the City of New Orleans, or northeast on the Crescent.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Does a bus operate from Houston to Longview to connect to 21? For example if somebody wanted to go from Houston to okc?

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Another possibility is to depart Houston Saturday night, ride to bel paso, spend the night and come back east. This works Houston to Dallas or Dallas to Houston. Not entirely efficient, but does add a nice train ride.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Does a bus operate from Houston to Longview to connect to 21? For example if somebody wanted to go from Houston to okc?

No, the Longview connection is only to & from the north --- that is, from 21 and to 22.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Another possibility is to depart Houston Saturday night, ride to bel paso, spend the night and come back east. This works Houston to Dallas or Dallas to Houston. Not entirely efficient, but does add a nice train ride.

I just put this under my analysis, and determined that El Paso, depending on the day of the week, would be either a 2-hour layover (on Thursdays.... too short) or a 26-hour layover (Sunday into Monday... too long). And the Tuesday arrival would not work at all, a 50-hour layover.

But having been to Reno as part of this past Fest, I see where you're coming from.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Also I have analyzed the Houston-via-New-Orleans method.

To do the City of New Orleans to Sunset Limited, we would need to leave Chicago on Saturday, Monday, or Thursday. We'd arrive in New Orleans Sunday, Tuesday, or Friday afternoons, stay overnight, and then leave on the Sunset on its operating days of Monday, Wednesday, or Saturday in the morning 9 AM, getting to Houston the same evening. Doing it this way would allow some time for riding streetcars in New Orleans. Approaching New Orleans via the Crescent would get us into NOL in the evening if on time, not really allowing much time for anything before we would be leaving town 13-1/2 hours later.

In the other direction, one would leave Houston around lunchtime on Tuesday, Friday, or Sunday, getting into New Orleans the same evening at 9:40 PM. Again this would not allow much time for any transit activities that night. The next day, if we were to take the Crescent, it leaves 7 AM, again quite early. But if we took the City of New Orleans northward, we would have the entire morning and lunchtime in town to do streetcars as the City leaves 1:45 PM. We would do that on a Wednesday, Saturday, or Monday afternoon, and get to Chicago the following morning (Thursday, Sunday, or Tuesday).

Now if we did the same routing in both directions (to avoid the Longview bus ride and/or the long overnight San Antonio dwell), I would expect that we would want to have one full day in Houston, thus two hotel nights. The only way that works is with the Wednesday arrival of #1 and the Friday departure of #2. With the Monday and Saturday arrivals into Houston of #1, there is only one overnight before we would have to return eastbound on #2. With the expanding light rail network, that would only give us Tuesday or Sunday morning to do the whole system.

Ideally, therefore, this would mean leaving CHI on a Monday on #59, getting into NOL Tuesday afternoon, using the evening to do streetcar rides. Leave NOL and arrive HOS in Wednesday. Use Thursday as the full day in Houston. Depart HOS on #2 on Friday early afternoon, arriving NOL that evening. Saturday would be another chance to ride streetcars in NOL, and then we would board #58 that afternoon, getting into Chicago on a Sunday morning. Believe it or not, that takes up 7 days out of Chicago. It would mean 2 consecutive overnights in Houston, and 2 separate hotel nights in New Orleans.

So in any case, I think Dick is on the right track as far as using the City of New Orleans as opposed to the Crescent for reasons outlined above. Again speaking with reality in mind here, whatever trip does develop from this, I think it would be worthwhile to wait a couple of years until Houston's Green Line is finished beyond the incomplete bridge segment, and also New Orleans' streetcar expansion around the edge of the French Quarter is open.

We meanwhile would have a better chance of visiting Dallas first since things will be pretty much ready to go once the DART Orange Line opens to the airport (later this month), the McKinney Avenue Streetcar downtown extension is done, and the Union Station-Oak Cliff Streetcar is finished as well.

Edited by KevinKorell, 04 August 2014 - 02:13 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users