#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

The weather was perfect for January, and we all had a good time. Still, looking back I have some regrets to the way things turned out. 1. For those who made a long trip to New York, the group didn't do anything on Friday besides eat, although some did ride a few trains. 2. Waterbury. Things can't be perfect. If a scouting mission is done on a day other than Sunday, it isn't noted that the city closes for the day every Sunday. We could try and fix that by doing far out places where lunch is required on Saturday rather than Sunday. I hope the scraps we scavenged from 7-11 were sufficient. The person who did provide me with the Waterbury information did so several years ago, and time did not allow me to make a trip there closer to the event. 3. Sloan. I don't like leaving anyone behind, but I also don't usually count heads when we get on a train. The gang spreads out on the trains so that everyone can get a coveted window seat. Some even go into different cars from the rest of the group. I think few are more near-sighted than I am, yet I am happy looking out the window from an aisle seat. 4. There was not one group photo taken. With the weather as mild as it was, we could have paused a few seconds for some to take group shots. A few did take some candids of us milling about, but never were we all in the same picture. At the endpoint stations while some stayed near the trains, others quickly went in search of exercise, coffee, rest rooms, etc. 5. No restaurant served meal. I was trying to get away from the mess that usually follows a large meal where we end up spending as much time trying to figure out how much we owe towards the check as we did eating. On Saturday night just off Times Square (after finding that the mob had not yet dispersed 16 days after New Years Eve), we entered a restaurant that turned out to have a 40-minute wait. Railfans don't wait 40 minutes for anything, unless they're at the end of the line awaiting an inbound train trip! On the positive side, 7 of us did get to eat at Stage Door Deli on Friday night, but it wasn't the whole group. 6. I wasn't able to line up any entertainment. Somehow everyone who has held anything in New York in the past 3 or 4 months managed to get Jay-Z and Alicia Keys to perform "Empire State of Mind" at their event. Next time I'll have to get a hold of the music track and do my own singing and rapping, substituting train lyrics for the regular ones. :o

Edited by KevinKorell, 31 March 2011 - 08:40 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hey, Kevin, No problem. At least I got a chance to watch AirTrain shuttle back and forth while I waited for you guys to come back from Hempstead. :lol: Sloan

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:56 PM

I enjoyed it entirely. My only regret is that I had to come home. If I had had more money in the bank, I would have canceled my airline ticket and tanking the LSL home. My solo ride on the Hoboken light rail was enjoyable. I got some great views of Manhattan too. I rode from 22nd second street to Hoboken, and then took PATH to WTC. I walked over with the intention of getting a 5 express to GCT. But instead I got the 4 which worked equally well. There was some problem with the 5, but I employee was on the platform helping people out. I was impressed.

#4 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:42 AM

Aloha My regrets, I wasn't there. Mahalo for the other fests I been fortunate to attend Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users