#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

This evening I e-mailed to most regulars an explanation of why we can't meet and ride trains on the traditional weekend in January. I'd rather keep the details off the board, so if you haven't heard from me and are interested in what is going on, please contact me and I'll forward you the message. It is by no means cancelled, only postponed until such a time convenient to as many as possible, including me. We still will meet sometime over the winter or early spring months in Philadelphia, and it's another Request Fest. So please let me know your thoughts as to what you would like to do. All SEPTA regional rail, trolley, and subway lines are fair game, as long as they run on weekends (most do) and can be worked into an acceptable itinerary to maximize the best use of our time over the two days, and minimize distance in between the different lines. Also possible is a cheap Amtrak Keystone round trip if that interests you as well. I'll keep everyone posted as I know more. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Based on some of the suggestions I've received, other than "I'll do whatever the group decides to do", I put together a two-day itinerary that includes the most popular suggestions.

Of course nothing in Philly is really new to this group but we evolve with new faces that may not have experienced some or all of the lines. No pressure anymore to necessarily ride to the end of a line, but rather to make optimum connections.

This plan would take in a Norristown turn (both Norristown High Speed Line and Manayunk-Norristown rail line), a Media turn (both Media-Elwyn rail line and 101 trolley), a Chestnut Hill turn (entire Chestnut Hill East & West lines), coverage of much but not all of the Market-Frankford and Broad Street subway lines, and a Darby turn (both the 11 and 13 trolley lines). There would even be time for a quick Amtrak run to Paoli and back.

Ample time provided in between runs for bathrooms, snacks, lunch. and warming up. But bring your walking shoes because some of the transfers, particularly in Chestnut Hill and Media, will be several blocks.

Stay tuned for potential dates.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

We haven't met in Philadelphia since August of 2006. While things aren't totally new to us, what will have changed in the 5-1/2 years since then?
  • No more "R" designations for regional rail trains, although most of the old through route pairings still exist.
  • Norristown High Speed Line is called that, and treated more like a subway line than a trolley. "100" designation removed.
  • 101 and 102 trolleys are now part of the "Green Line", considered trolleys just like the downtown trolley system. (Used to be designated "Brown".)
  • 10, 11, 13, 34, & 36 trolleys are now just trolleys, no longer referred to as the Subway-Surface Lines even though they still do run under Market Street.
  • 15 trolley is also in the "Green Line" network.
  • Pattison Avenue station at southern end of Broad Street Subway next to the Sports Complex is now called AT&T Station.
  • There is yet another downtown mall/food court area, as Comcast Center has since opened. Access from Suburban Station.
  • Reconstruction of the Market-Frankford El in West Philadelphia is long completed.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users