#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

Steve and I are starting to discuss meal venues off the trains. But one question comes to mind regarding Denver. The eastbound calling time (arrival 6:38 PM, departure 7:10 PM ... IF on time) is about dinnertime for some. I would hope we get an early seating for dinner on the Denver-bound train; if not it will be in Denver after arrival. But on the converse, the next night we want to be at the station before the train's arrival so we can board Chicago-bound #6 and get settled. I assume we're eligible for dinner after we board. Healthwise it may be too late for me, especially if that train is late. The question is, should we plan on dinner either of those evenings in Denver, or leave it up to the individual? IIRC there may be some fast food places one can run to from Union Station if time permits. A sitdown dinner the night we depart Denver off the train means we would have to start early enough to still be at Union Station on time for our train. My preference would be dinner aboard the first #6 going into Denver, and something quick the next night before boarding #6 after leaving there for Chicago. But everyone doesn't necessarily need to do the same thing. Thoughts?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

With a first seating for dinner on 6 coming into Denver, we get a meal on the train with a great view as we come down the front range into Denver. So that is a no brainer IMHO. As far as eating in Denver before departure as a group, there are a bunch of restaurants near the station on Yelp with a range in tastes from Mexican to italian to everything in between. We finish riding transit at 4:23 p.m. And 6 arrives at 6:38 which leaves two hours. I don't know about luggage storage at the new Denver terminal. If luggage storage is available (it should since there is checked bags on 5 and 6) I think the easiest thing to do would be for people to store luggage before the day's activities. This would leave more time for dinner. If we were interested in eating as a group in Denver I could post a list of suggestions.

#13 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:56 PM

To add some timing info, since 3/1 (77 trips recorded), 80% of the time #6 has arrived in DEN at 6:20pm or later. If first seating is at 5:30 or earlier, that would seem to suggest that dinner on board before arriving DEN is possible. On the way east, 50% of the time the train leaves DEN between 7:10 and 7:21pm. 75% of the time, it leaves before 7:57pm. Having dinner on board after leaving Denver seems possible. On the other hand, there are lots of places in Lower Downtown (LoDo) for all varying tastes and with varying price tags. Getting something before boarding might be the wise thing to do. That way you can just board, settle in to the room, and relax. From our end, unless the eastbound is running more than an hour or so late, my wife and I will likely wait and have dinner somewhere in LoDo Denver. Of course, the next night all we'll do is wave goodbye as you guys head east and we stay behind.

#14 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

I'm more interested in eating in Denver before boarding 6. By this time I will have eaten 4 am-steaks for dinner. So variety will Be enjoyed.

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

And if the train is delayed, so is the dinner for anyone who would opt to eat onboard. Plus, we would not have been onboard ahead of time when they take reservations, which is an issue if a number of folks from our group wish to eat together.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:39 AM

With a first seating for dinner on 6 coming into Denver, we get a meal on the train with a great view as we come down the front range into Denver. So that is a no brainer IMHO.

As far as eating in Denver before departure as a group, there are a bunch of restaurants near the station on Yelp with a range in tastes from Mexican to italian to everything in between.

We finish riding transit at 4:23 p.m. And 6 arrives at 6:38 which leaves two hours. I don't know about luggage storage at the new Denver terminal. If luggage storage is available (it should since there is checked bags on 5 and 6) I think the easiest thing to do would be for people to store luggage before the day's activities. This would leave more time for dinner.

If we were interested in eating as a group in Denver I could post a list of suggestions.

I have always rated the approach into Denver on #6 as the most scenic trip I've ever taken. You want to be in a car that has windows on both sides (not your sleeper, read: diner or sightseer lounge) because the train winds down the front range into the city. But I think we need to get as early a seating as possible, especially if we are running on time, so we can be sure they can handle us and we still have enough time to return to our accommodations after the show to prepare for arrival. Perhaps we grease the palms of the person taking the reservations earlier in the day Thursday with something green.

My hotel plans call for me to be to the south of the city near Denver Tech Center, so I definitely would not want to have to return later to get the luggage. I'm on board for luggage storage at DUS on Friday morning.

Dinner on Friday in Denver, assuming the consensus at least for some is to eat well before boarding the train, would need to be at either a fast food type place, or somewhere that can handle a group of our size quickly to get us back to DUS at a reasonable time. I'd say it has to be within short walking distance of DUS, or else on the frequent free bus route along 16th Street Mall. I don't think there is much along the LRT line, but that can be determined when we take our official rides --- if we see something we like then we can consider it as an option. I also seem to recall from my own trip Denver way back in the 1980's when I had ridden the Zephyr into town but flew home out of the former Stapleton Airport, that there was a Burger King within a few blocks walk of DUS -- but I would not expect that to be certain over a quarter century later.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

On my most recent departure on #6 from Denver, my SCA told me to drop my bag and proceed directly to the dining car for dinner. I think the train was running on time. I would prefer to have dinner on the train, but will do whatever the group decides.

#18 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

I did a yelp search for fast food. The pickings in immediate area around the station are slim. A bit further there a better options such as smash burger. I'm still learning the transit routes in Denver and have not yet reconciled locations with stops.

#19 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I will most likely opt for the major part of the evening meal before boarding in Denver. On the train I might go in to a late seating in the Diner for a snack, dessert and a drink perhaps. Like Steve, I will probably be a little tired of Am-dinners by the time we get to Denver. So a bit of variety would be good. Just IMHO of course. A quick Google map search show that there appears to be at least two dozen food establishments within half a mile walking distance of DUS. The ones closest to it are $$ or $$$. But within half mile radius there is also a Smash Burgers and a Subway if that is the taste for dinner. I will probably prefer to try out one of the $$ places which range from Mexican to Italian, given that we will have over two hours to partake.

#20 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:54 PM

I like the dessert in the diner. That would be finer. Lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users