#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 May 2022 - 12:11 AM

So I worked out a few scenarios for possible Vermont trips.

For all the schedules are basically the same whether a weekday or weekend.  I'll use New York City (NYP) as an example, but start/end points for the Vermonter could be anywhere on the Northeast Corridor.   Start/end point for the Ethan Allen Express has to be New York City.   Times for Burlington (and startup date) not yet known, but figure about 10 PM arrival, and about 10 AM departure.

A Vermonter-only round trip to St. Albans would be 2 days:

Day 1:  Leave NYP 11:33 AM, Arrive SAB 8:50 PM on Train 54 or 56.  Stay in SAB.

Day 2:  Leave SAB 9:15 AM, Arrive NYP 6:25 PM on Train 55 or 57.

An Ethan Allen Express-only round trip to Burlington would be 2 days:

Day 1:  Leave NYP 2:20 PM, Arrive Burlington approx 10 PM on Train 291.  Stay in Burlington.

Day 2:  Leave Burlington approx 10 AM, Arrive NYP 5:45 PM on Train 290.

Now to combine the two would involve a stay somewhere in the New York City area, or south of there along the Northeast Corridor (with a Regional connection with the Ethan Allen):

Day 1:  Leave NYP 11:33 AM, Arrive SAB 8:50 PM on Train 54 or 56.  Stay in SAB.

Day 2:  Leave SAB 9:15 AM, Arrive NYP 6:25 PM on Train 55 or 57.  Stay in New York City or elsewhere.

Day 3:  Leave NYP 2:20 PM, Arrive Burlington approx 10 PM on Train 291.  Stay in Burlington.

Day 4:  Leave Burlington approx 10 AM, Arrive NYP 5:45 PM on Train 290.

The opposite would work too, doing the Ethan Allen the first 2 days and the Vermonter the second 2 days.

I looked at the possibility of doing the whole thing in as little as two days, by taking the Vermonter one way and the Ethan Allen Express the other way.   Either we take 54 or 56 to Essex Junction,  Uber/Lyft to Burlington and stay there, and then return next day on 290, or we take 54 or 56 to St. Albans and stay there, and then we would need to Uber/Lyft from St. Albans to Burlington.  The schedule of the Vermonter would have us depart on 55 or 57 at 9:15 AM, arriving Essex Junction 9:44 AM. This would not give enough time to get to Burlington for an approximately 10 AM departure of 290.

The converse of the above would be to do 291 to Burlington on Day 1, Uber/Lyft to St. Albans, stay there, and then on Day 2 take 55 or 57 back to New York City.  Or... Stay in Burlington and then on Day 2 Uber/Lyft to Essex Junction to catch 55 or 57 there.

And finally, I also looked at connecting between the two routes by using the Lake Shore Limited.  It would not save us any time as it would still take 4 days... plus the connection at Springfield, MA between 55 or 57 and 449 is too tight (arrive 2:35 PM, depart 3:26 PM) and the connection in Albany, where we would have to stay, would be 23 hours (arrive 6:10 PM and depart next day 5:05 PM on 291).    A connection involving 448 eastbound does not work at all in either Albany or Springfield.

No matter what we do or where we go, we're going to take a financial hit on hotels.  Costs aren't what they used to be, but then inflation has hit everything.   Burlington, VT always was highly priced, unless one travels a mile or two east from downtown where a cluster of many hotels sits near I-89 and US 2.   St. Albans just has the Hampton Inn near the station, and it's been high but we might catch it during the week cheaper than it would be on the weekend.   New York City.....well that goes without saying that it may prove prohibitive any day of the week, and most NYC hotels are simply boutique cubbyholes not much bigger than the bed itself.   The high hotel rates may be a signal to limit this to just a 2-day round trip.

I had planned a trip (yet untaken) for myself to St. Albans via the Vermonter, but to minimize the time on one train, I would take 4 days (rather than 2) to do it, making overnight stops on the way in Connecticut.  That personal itinerary is here , but again if we adapted that for a Fest, it still does involve 3 hotel nights.   The thought behind this option is that the Vermonter uses the half BC/half café car, so there are only 18 BC seats available which often sell out along the Northeast Corridor.   Using the Vermonter only between Connecticut points and Vermont increases the chance of getting decent seats on that train.

All stuff to keep in mind, but the intention here for July is to stay in the north to avoid summer heat.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 08:53 AM

My 1 st choice would be a rt on the Vermonter. This is mostly new trackage for me since I last road the Montrealer over that route and most was at night.

2nd choice would be both Vermonter and Ethan Allan or a a trip using both trains and Uber.

I appreciate your efforts.

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:37 AM

I thought I would clarify my rankings.
1. Complete round trip on Vermonter and complete rt on Ethan Allan.
2. Round trip on Vermonter.
3. Round trip on Vermonter and Ethan Allan using car service to connect the two routes.

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 05:36 PM

Im planning on using Hyatt hotel points to mitigate high hotel rates if we did Boston. If we do the Vermonter or some combination of Vermonter and Ethan Allan Im using Hyatt points for a place near the New Brunswick train station in New Jersey. I would stay with the group on the Hilton property. I could do one night at 293.

Im thinking of flying to New Orleans, or taking 59, and then the Crescent to New Brunswick the day before the fest starts. I would probably use NJT to get to NYP to catch the Vermonter which does not stop in New Brunswick.

That being said Im able to be flexible during July. The last weekend in July I go to St. Louis with Rosalyn. Do whatever is planned for out east I hope is not on that weekend or after that weekend. Dates that fall between 7/16 to 7/27 are best for me.

If things go in a way that I dont ride the crescent Im ok with that.

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 07:51 PM

Although I really want to travel, my risk tolerance is not very high.  I am still masked indoors in most locations (even though I am as vaxxed as possible). 

I do not have enough Hilton points for 3 nights and my personal cost of living has increased in the last year, so I have to watch my spending.  Getting to NYP is pretty expensive for me.  However, once a date and location is determined, I will see if I can make the trip logistically and financially.   

I have taken the Vermonter south from Essex Junction twice, but have spent minimal time on the Ethan Allan.  

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 08:54 PM

Hope you can make it, penny.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 01:38 AM

After much on-and-off discussion with some mitigating factors including Steve's schedule (a long distance trip over several long distance trains leading up to New York where he would then board the Vermonter for a round trip plus some other commitments later the same week), we have come up with the Vermonter round trip to take place on Monday, July 25 northbound, and Tuesday, July 26 southbound.   While hotel rates may still be high, they were lower for a Monday night than they are late in the weekdays and weekend.   

Steve is travelling out of Chicago on the City of New Orleans on 59 on the preceding Thursday 7/21 to New Orleans, arriving there on Friday 7/22..   Then on Saturday morning 7/23 he leaves NOL on 20 headed for New York City, arriving there Sunday evening 7/24.    That positions him in NYP for a late morning departure of 56 on Monday 7/25 going towards Vermont.

My pre-Fest plan is to head south on 19 on Friday,  7/22 and travel overnight to Birmingham, AL arriving there 12:45 PM on Saturday 7/23..  Then the same 20 that Steve is on will pick me up in BHM at 5:24 PM the same day  (4 hours 39 minutes dwell should be OK).   I'll remain in 20 to Newark, NJ where I have a hotel in the EWR Newark Airport area cheaper and larger than one would find in Manhattan.  Then that morning I'll get myself to New York Penn's Moynihan Hall in time for the Vermonter (56) departure.

So... anyone who would like to ride all or a portion of the Crescent in either direction over the weekend, or the Vermonter on Monday/Tuesday is welcome to join us.   My ticket back from Vermont on 55 is for New York City, but I may remain on that train or take another to where my car is parked in NJ (likely Trenton).

Note there is not yet any talk of a second Vermont trip to/from Burlington.  We don't exactly at this time have a startup date, nor is the new segment available for reservations.  So we'll do that part another time, even it does happen to start around the time of this journey.

Forthcoming will be an itinerary so one can better see the dates and times for the Crescent and Vermonter trips.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:06 PM

I hope to see you all on at least part of this trip. Thank you Kevin for your hard work.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:03 AM

Forthcoming will be an itinerary so one can better see the dates and times for the Crescent and Vermonter trips.

Here they are:

Birmingham Alabama Crescent Excursion (BACE) 2022

St. Albans Vermonter Excursion (SAVE) 2022

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 29 June 2022 - 11:35 AM

Bus substitution is planned for the Connecticut Valley line from July 18 until September 9.  Unclear if this will impact the Vermonter (note "most of the Amtrak and CT Rail trains").  No changes currently shown on Amtrak.com.  This from CT Rail:

Service Update: Safety and Track Improvements Coming to the Hartford Line

Beginning Monday, July 18, 2022, Hartford Union Station will be undergoing several major renovations until Friday, September 9, 2022. As a result of these projects, substitute bus service will replace most of the Amtrak and CTrail trains along the Hartford Line during this period.

The notice is HERE.  Scroll to 06/27/22 at 8:05 AM ET.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users