#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 March 2021 - 10:40 AM

We know at this point in March 2021 that the long distance trains are coming back by the summer.  Corridor service is being increased.  Local transit in cities is coming back slowly, but it would be better to wait until it is back to pre-Pandemic levels.  We're still waiting for everyone to get their vaccines and for restaurant capacity to go back to 100%.  Ditching the masks everywhere would be nice too.    As for the postponed Boston & Maine trip from March 2020, we still need to see full restoration of weekend MBTA commuter rail service as well as all 5 daily Downeaster round trips before we could entertain the notion of resuming those plans.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:01 PM

All,

I know that it takes a while to get a good sampling of answers to questions posed here, so I'll start now.   It's April 10th, and we are looking at things slowly returning to normal.  States are still in various stages of normalizing life as far as mask wearing and restaurant capacity.   More and more people are getting their one or two vaccine shots.

Where do we stand at this point regarding getting together for another Fest?     I'm vaccinated (and within the 2-week period needed for it to be fully effective), and have obviously been travelling on Amtrak well before then -- however I hadn't needed to worry about people travelling or dining together.

I am still leaning towards a trip in the summer, maybe the Roanoke option, which would just be simply a weekend Amtrak Regional trip between any point in the Northeast and Roanoke, and return.  Doing that, dinner together in a restaurant would be a moot point since I can tell you that with a 9:33 PM arrival, your dinner will be AM-burgers or AM-dogs from a moving cafe car.   A relatively short trip such as this would serve to get us back in practice for the longer trips of the future.

Perhaps by September or so, relaxing of the restrictions in various states around the country may allow us to travel longer distances and partake of local transit and hopefully without getting suntan lines across the top third of our faces.

Oh, and a silver lining to the postponement of the Boston trip from March 2020 to likely March 2022 (assuming weekend commuter rail is back), is that the Green Line Extension will be open by then.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

I am fully vaccinated for almost 2 months.  I have not taken an overnight Amtrak trip yet, but I have recently made reservations to travel to NYP in May.  I have not yet dined indoors, but I may do so in the near future.  

I think I should be ready to "fest" this summer.  I hope the logistics work out with the sale of my condo and I will be free to travel.

#14 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 07:03 PM

I'd be interested, though I'll have to price it out when dates are determined (we have a couple other trips coming up and so I'd have to try and do this "on the cheap.") With my first dose complete and the second dose coming up in a few days, I'm feeling pretty confident in traveling here soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users