Twin Cities transit and expected costs

40 replies to this topic

#11 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

I found a reference to Transfers to and from Northstar.

http://www.metrotran...#Northstarfares

Each fare includes a 2½ hour transfer, except a Downtown Zone fare. Some transfers require an additional fare such as transferring from a bus to Northstar.

Edited by pennyk, 21 June 2015 - 06:37 PM.

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82751 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:47 PM

I found a reference to Transfers to and from Northstar.

That is the general fare rule applicable to the Metro Transit $1.75 fare. I could see it applying to light rail after the inbound Northstar $5.25 trip, as long as it is completed within 2-1/2 hours of when we left Big Lake. That won't get us back to St. Paul since we plan to stop someplace for dinner. It probably would suffice to cover the trip from Target Field Station to the dinner location, whether downtown or further east.  It would make downtown zone vs regular fare insignificant.   If the above does apply to the first outbound Northstar trip, then I think we would be responsible to cover $3.50 -- the difference between the $5.25 one way Northstar fare and the $1.75 light rail fare paid upon leaving Mall of America.

Again good check-list item for a phone call to the agency.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:26 PM

It is probably best to think of Metro Transit's fares as purchasing a period of time in which someone may ride Metro Transit's system, within the fare category. A regular ticket will purchase 2.5 hours of transit on Metro Transit; if one would go on an express bus from METRO they would have to pay the additional fare. One cannot step up from METRO to Northstar with a paper ticket; however, a Go To card will automatically "step up" the fare to a Northstar fare, only charging the difference ($3.75) between the light rail ticket and the Northstar ticket. The one exception to this rule is if one transfers from Northstar to Northstar; at that point a new full fare is charged and the 2.5 hour timer is reset.

One way and roundtrip Northstar fares can be bought at any light rail station. And while it's not advertised, a round-trip Northstar fare is listed on the machine (when purchasing it) as valid for 24 hours from the time of purchase. In my experience, it expires at midnight on the day of purchase.

Northstar tickets are valid for light rail and bus trips within the validity period. If one wishes to play it "safe", one could purchase a light rail ticket at St. Paul Union Depot and then buy their round-trip Northstar ticket at Mall of America. That round-trip would be valid through the end of the day, including transfers to/from light rail and buses. However, I would not anticipate any issues if someone were to purchase their round-trip Northstar pass at Union Depot and shoehorn it into a day pass instrument for light rail as well, as all of our trips would be within the validity period of a round-trip Northstar pass.

There would be absolutely no need for a downtown zone fare while in Minneapolis. Even a one-way ticket bought at Big Lake would cover the trip to wherever we wish to eat that evening.

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82751 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

That explains it better --- thanks Jeb.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

I just got off the phone with Metro Transit in the Twin Cities.  I was calling to ask about the RT Northstar ticket transfers and the Family Pass.  Good news about the Northstar ticket transfers and bad news about the Family Pass.

The representative to whom I spoke (Abby) asked me to list our itinerary, which I did.  Abby informed me that all transfers would be included in the cost of the RT Northstar ticket (all day).

Abby recommended that we purchase our RT Northstar tickets at SPUD (at the beginning of our day) using a machine.  We should buy paper tickets and we can use cash or credit card.  The RT ticket for those of us under 65 is $10.50.  Abby stated that those tickets will be valid all day long in terms of transfers.  :)

With regard to the Family Pass, the person to whom I spoke a couple of months ago (that suggested a Family Pass) either did not know where our trip was originating or just got it wrong.  As Kevin stated above, the Family Pass will not work on trips FROM Target Field (like we are doing), it only works on trips TO Target Field.  

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82751 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for the update.   I'll similarly update my fare analysis when I get a chance later this week. Effectively we have a universal Day Pass for $10.50 , which is certainly fine by me!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

So, since given my hotel I'll probably get on the Green Line at Central Station to get to Union Depot, I could then buy an RT North Star ticket at the ticket machine at Central Station, and then I am good for the entire day? That sounds like a really good deal.

Edited by jis, 23 June 2015 - 02:19 PM.

#18 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5377 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

So, since given my hotel I'll probably get on the Green Line at Central Station to get to Union Depot, I could then buy an RT North Star ticket at the ticket machine at Central Station, and then I am good for the entire day? That sounds like a really good deal.

I don't doubt that the Metro folks told Penny that, but the website says something different.

Basically, the website says:

• Transfers from light rail to Northstar require an additional fare
  • Transfers from Northstar to Light Rail are free, subject to the 2-1/2 hour validity limit.

I think it would be worth double checking the Northstar - light rail transfer rules prior to risking a $180 fine.

Fares 

Weekday fares range from $6 in Big Lake to $3 in Fridley. Weekend trips range from $5.25 in Big Lake to $2.50 in Fridley. Northstar passengers can transfer to light rail and buses for free, but transfer from buses and light rail to Northstar require an additional fare.

Fares are valid for 2.5 hours from time of purchase and must be purchased before boarding the train. Ticket machines are on each station platform. Go-To Cards, Metropasses, U-Passes and Go-To College Passes are accepted at Northstar stations. 

#19 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Bill, I agree that the website is inconsistent with what I was told on the phone.  Maybe Jeb will chime in and report what he has experienced "on the ground."

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82751 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Maybe some verification needs to be done via e-mail rather than phone, so that in case of confrontation we have written proof that an agent of the company said that using a round trip Northstar fare as a day pass on light rail is permissable.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users