PCRF/Amtrak trips

76 replies to this topic

#61 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

There are 4 of us booked on the 7/10 westbound cardinal (train 51).  It is way too soon to know when the Cardinal will start running its route through West Virginia, but it is not too soon for some of us to be concerned.  :o

I think there are only 3 of us now booked on 51.  I got cold feet and panicked and did whatever I could to switch trains.  I am now on 29 (in 2 different rooms because the rooms are virtually sold out and I could not get one the entire route).

#62 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:50 PM

Wow! Where do you have to switch? Sometimes a sca can work it out so you don't have to switch.

#63 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

Wow! Where do you have to switch? Sometimes a sca can work it out so you don't have to switch.

Elkhart, which is not too bad.  At first, I thought I would be switching in Toledo at 5am.  The 2 rooms are in the same car, so that will work out.

#64 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

From CSX:

June 28, 2016

CSX Transportation has resumed limited railroad operations through West Virginia following historic flooding in the area. Normal train operations have not yet resumed due to continuing washout conditions. A timeline to resume full service has not been determined at this time. CSX Engineering continues to assess track conditions and anticipates having the main line restored by the end of the week. Customers with traffic through the area should still expect some delays during this period.

Additional updates will be provided as CSX operations continues to monitor and re-evaluate the situation immediately on the ground and rail network.

#65 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:42 AM

Elkhart is no problem at all. The sca will probably have the person using your original room at Elkhart go to the one that you are supposed to switch too. Then you will stay I your roomette all the way to Chicago.

#66 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

What I think is good news is that 50 of 6/28 out of Chicago left there and as of 11:30 AM eastern time on 6/29 was within an hour of its schedule as it crosses West Virginia. 51 of 6/29 left New York on time, and was close to schedule past Alexandria when I checked at 11:30 AM. Of course let's see how they both do ultimately getting to their destinations. The bad news is that more rain is predicted for WV for Monday 7/4.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#67 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:02 AM

Train 50(28) got onto the Northeast Corridor and its ultimate destination of New York around half an hour late. Its worst reported deficit along its entire run was 49 minutes. Not too shabby being the first passenger train through after the flooding repairs. Train 51(29) took about an hour delay before it even got into West Virginia, between Staunton and Clifton Forge. It has since fluctuated around 2 hours, and at last report at Lafayette, was 1 hour 48 minutes down. If it doesn't suffer any more issues, padding between Dyer and Chicago might help it. Comparatively, 29(29) on its non-flooding route has about the same lateness, having suffered its first hour between Alliance and Cleveland.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#68 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

Attached are the charts for the PCRF Amtrak trains June arrivals.

Empire Builder #7 arriving Seattle:

Attached File  07_6.png   297.13KB   0 downloads

Cascades #513 arriving Portland

Attached File  513_6.png   470.44KB   0 downloads

Coast Starlight #11 arriving Los Angeles

Attached File  11_6.png   485.53KB   0 downloads

Pacific Surfliner #566 departing Solana Beach

Attached File  566_6.png   450.95KB   0 downloads

Pacific Surfliner #777 arriving Los Angeles

Attached File  777_6.png   489.5KB   0 downloads

Southwest Chief #4 arriving Chicago

Attached File  04_6.png   503.53KB   0 downloads

And, some to and from trains

Capitol Limited #29 arriving Chicago

Attached File  29_6.png   498.57KB   0 downloads

Lake Shore Limited #48 arriving New York

Attached File  48_6.png   489.23KB   0 downloads

Lake Shore Limited #49 arriving Chicago

Attached File  49_6.png   497.33KB   0 downloads

Cardinal #51 arriving Chicago (arrivals April to June)

Attached File  51_6.png   423.01KB   0 downloads

#69 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:24 PM

Thanks, Bill for the updated charts.

The next version of 51 (left NYP 7/1. arrive CHI 7/2) also got through very well.  It was at one point 1 hour 17 minutes late, but with shortened dwells in Cincinnati & Indianapolis and the padding into Chicago, ended up just 10 minutes late.   50(30) did not do as well, taking delays in Indiana and Virginia (but not West Virginia!) an ending up limping into New York's Penn Station almost 5-1/2 hours late at 3:22 AM.

I don't think anybody from the Fest group is taking 50, but since there are only 6 trains per week to track in both directions, I'm watching it too.  The show starts again tonight with 50(2) out of Chicago and then tomorrow 51(3) out of New York.  The good point is that 51(1) was capable of making up almost an hour of its deficit.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#70 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

51(3) was as late as 1 hour 48 minutes going through West Virginia (though a good chunk of the delay was taken in Virginia).  However it ended up coming into Chicago this morning just 27 minutes off the advertised.  This was the last Sunday departure of 51 before ours next week.  So if we find ourselves as much as 2 hours behind, there is little cause for alarm.  Again it made up some of its deficit with a shorter Indianapolis dwell.

For the record, 50(2) did not do as well (again). It started out of Chicago on Saturday night over an hour late, and was well over 3 hours late at Northeast Corridor stops on Sunday evening.  But the common theme is that West Virginia was not a factor once more.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users