#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 05 October 2003 - 09:58 PM

And today, Sunday was more of the same. It was overcast at times, but no raindrops. I had my car at the hotel in Jersey City, so I first dropped Lou off at a place in town (near Exchange Place) where he could grab breakfast and then jump on the light rail there for Hoboken. I then drove into Hoboken where Michael and I had breakfast, then I went back into Jersey City where I parked at a garage near the Pavonia/Newport LRT station. Michael and I then rode that into Hoboken. The group assembled in the waiting room in Hoboken. Piotr Dzwonek joined Alan, Lou, Michael, and me, as we first took a 9:30 AM train one stop to Secaucus Junction, explored that station much to the chagrin of the NJT personel standing at various points around the station complex. We caught the first northbound train out, a Midtown Direct train from Dover to New York Penn Station. We split up at Penn Station for an early lunch and to purchase snacks to consume during our 7 hour LIRR excursion. We took an earlier LIRR train than planned out to Jamaica, which allowed us to get seats on the Montauk diesel train, which begins there. The only real problem on our outbound trip was a non-functioning bathroom. It was out of water, which meant no washing hands, and no flushing. Yech. Montauk was virgin territory for everyone but Michael and me, so it was welcome new trackage for Alan, Lou, and Piotr. At Montauk we had a 35-minute layover, during which we walked over to an auto repair shop that had an outdoor soda machine (no bills, quarters only). Our trip back was very crowded; apparently even over a month past Labor Day the Hamptons still generate plenty of business for the LIRR. We were packed by the time we got to Patchogue, where the train runs nonstop to Jamaica. Alan left the group at Jamaica to take a local train back to Woodside, while the rest of us hopped an express shuttle train to Penn Station. There, Lou left us to catch the subway to Grand Central in order to return to Connecticut. Piotr, Michael and I grabbed a quick dinner in Penn Station, then walked over to Herald Square and took the PATH to Pavonia/Newport, where we walked across the street to my car. I dropped Piotr off at his home in South Amboy, and then 45 minutes late Michael and I were home. A more detailed report is forthcoming, hopefully by the end of this year. :lol:

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users