#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82710 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

Post here the details of your trip home, anything following your detraining from 156 wherever that might be.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:02 PM

Transfer from the BWI Amtrak/MARC station to the airport was pretty smooth. Shuttle bus pulled up right after I was done using the  porta-potty at the station. After a quick stop at the luggage self-tag kiosk and the counter for ID and luggage weight verification, I cleared security and walked to my gate - 25 minutes from disembarking the train to gate B11 at BWI airport.

With my long layover, I decided to grab some food at the airport. Went to Silver Diner and ordered a Flat Iron Steak - though when it came out I found out that they do not have steak knives at the airport! Makes sense, but it was a bit frustrating to have to cut my steak with a serrated butter knife. It was still doable, though.

Now I'm just waiting near my gate - boarding doesn't start for over an hour, so not sure what all I'll do to pass the time.

#3 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 05:30 PM

I boarded 91 for my trip home to Orlando.  I had not traveled on 91 from the NE since the diner was first removed.  I am looking forward to enjoying "different" scenery than 97 and a much better departure time in WAS.  We left WAS on time, but were delayed around l'enfant station for "train interference."  We were 20 minutes late, now 53 minutes late.  I do not have to be anywhere tomorrow at any particular time, so it is OK.

Looking at the calendar.... 7/11.  This was the day I departed for the 2018 fest.  One day before 7/12.  A day that many OTOL members will never forget - especially 5 of us that were on the Crescent. :(

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82710 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 July 2021 - 08:07 PM

Because I had a hearty breakfast at the Hotel Roanoke, and because for the past week I had experienced several failures with regard to Amtrak cooking cheeseburgers both on Acela First Class and in Regional café cars, I opted not to visit the café on 156.  Figuring I would get back to Metropark by about 5:30 pm, I envisioned stopping for a larger but late dinner on the way home.   With the extra time on board due to the delays incurred coming through Virginia, that made my hunger even worse.  Chalk up restaurants I used to count on being open not so, I decided to just drive home and make myself something quick.  Thankfully I did have pre-bought snacks aboard the train and nursed my water from the hotel so I had something to eat and drink during my 9 hours on board 156.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:41 AM

My 91 is running a little behind, but not too bad.  I slept fairly well and woke up before we arrived in JAX where I got some fresh air.  A flex omelette was breakfast in the dining car.  It was not bad, but no way could it compare to the omelette I had at Hotel Roanoke.  I likely will detrain in WPK (instead of ORL) where my ex will pick me up.  I could have taken SunRail a couple of stops and walked from there, alternatively.  Thunderstorms are expected this afternoon, so I am glad I am on 91 arriving before noon.  It was nice seeing "new" scenery from 91 in VA and NC because of different timing and a different route than 97.

#6 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 July 2021 - 10:36 AM

The flight home was a bit delayed - I wound up walking around the terminal a bit to kill some time. Three different high school groups were on board our flight, so the boarding area was a bit hectic. Flight was uneventful, and luggage was on the carousel quickly. Got home right around 10:30 PM CT.

#7 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:36 AM

After leaving 156 at WAS, I rushed up the escalator and caught my Acela 2256 with about 15 minutes to spare.  I used an upgrade coupon to go FC and this was my first trip in FC Acela. Very nice. Food was good. Excellent seatmate. Young guy who worked in NYC, originally from Buffalo and played hockey.  Arrived in NYP around 5,  stayed Sunday night at Fairfield Inn across from Moynihan Train Hall,  spent some time in the lounge after dinner, watching people and enjoying the ambiance.

Monday morning left on Acela 2150 after a nice breakfast in the lounge.  Also first trip on this section of the corridor so found it very interesting and had no seatmate since the gentleman who was sitting with me at NYP was moved to handicapped seating with his five pieces of luggage :)

Arrived in Boston in time for lunch, a brief stay in the Metro Lounge there and then boarded 449 in BC.  Nice combo cafe/BC and no seatmate until Springfield.  Switched over to 49 in a roomette in Albany.  Found that my lead loco was the 50th Anniversary black #100.  Lots of photos and then we left at 7:05.  Dinner in the diner with the pasta-meatball combo and the luscious brownie.  My SCA was David and was excellent.  Hit the bed at 9:30 and awoke in Ohio. We were 10 minutes early into CLE.   An hour and half drive back to Ashland and my trip was officially over.  Enjoyed the experience. Nice to meet and see old friends and new.   Look forward to future excursions.

#8 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 12:41 PM

I just got home to Dallas late last night. After I alighted from the train in ALX, I quickly made my way to Metro to try and catch a flight to Boston from DCA. I missed that flight, so I had to wait a few hours for a flight to Providence. My mother was staying there and I planned to take her to New York the next morning on Acela. She enjoyed the ride on a packed morning Acela down to NYP where I made sure to come up the escalator into the new Moynihan Train Hall to give her a first impression for the city. I showed her how to ride the subway and did a few touristy things. On Wednesday, I put her back on a NER train to PVD and I flew home from LGA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users