#41 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

OK who did it? Somebody has already driven up the SPG-NYP bucket fare for 463/163 on the 15th from $29 to $39.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#42 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

It was the NHV-NYP segment that got kicked up; 163 may be a popular train with the price going higher. SPG-NHV, a late lunch at NHV, then NHV-NYP on 135 is still $29. Although I noticed it would be two hours and suppose little to do after eating lunch.

Edited by jacorbett70, 30 November 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#43 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:28 PM

That's an interesting idea I didn't think of. I could think of worse places to spend 2 hours than a busy train station. :) (NHV) It would beat having lunch on the train, and we would get to NYP at dinnertime instead of having to kill some time in Manhattan as getting there before 4 PM is a little too early for dinner. Since we're splitting the trip anyway, does this alternative (463-135) agree with others?Also I've started looking at steakhouses and family restaurants both in Manhattan and other boroughs, near the subway lines. I've seen a couple of places that might be reasonable.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#44 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

What about an early dinner late lunch in new haven for the group meal on Saturday?

#45 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

Nevermind my other post. I see you are thinking about dinner in another borough.

#46 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:40 PM

By the timetable, we would be in NHV from 2:05 PM until 4:11 PM if we did that. I'd expect that people will want to eat lunch towards the earlier part of that period. Then if we took 135 we get to NYP 5:45, at which time we would go straight to dinner. If it is in one of the outer boroughs it will take time to get there too. There also may be another option I found other than the Stage Door that is walking distance from Penn Station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#47 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

Does anyone else agree with this idea of stopping for 2 hours to have lunch in New Haven before taking another train (135) to Penn Station? Or would you want to take the immediate connection at NHV (163) and get to Manhattan earlier?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#48 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

I'm flexible. If nobody else replies do it the way you want to.

#49 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

Here's what a Springfield day trip with the lunch stopover at New Haven would look like.Note that I've left in Metropark times just in case anyone wishes to ride through. I know there's at least 4 of us who might use this option either way. Obviously the whole gorup isn't starting or ending at MET, and in fact if we do a Saturday dinner we are definitely getting off in NYP. If anyone desires to ride through to or from Philadelphia, let me know and I can add those times in as well.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#50 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

Now here's an updated Danbury/New Canaan itinerary. I've added optional Amtrak trips to Stamford in the morning and from Stamford in the evening, in case anyone wants to use Penn Station or ride through to Metropark. Note that Train #150 in the morning does not stop at MET. Again let me know if anyone wants PHL times added (though #150's calling time isn't pretty).

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users