#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

Once again we are making a November visit to Boston. OTOL Boston "T" Party 2008 will take place on Friday, November 7th and Saturday November 8th. Activities will include:
  • Riding the entire Fitchburg, Rockport, Newburyport, and Framingham-Worcester Lines.
  • Riding the innermost segment of the Haverhill Line.
  • Riding the Red Line, mainly to get the westernmost segment between Porter Square and Alewife.
  • If the Bowdoin station is still open, we would also ride the short Blue Line segment between Government Center and Bowdoin. I know that one might be able to walk this segment faster on the surface, but hey, it's endangered trackage!
Originally we were also to have ridden the Lowell Line. However, that would have resulted in some connections that were too tight and riding after dark. If we cover all of the above lines on this fest, that would leave only Lowell that our group still has to do. (We already rode the trackage between North Station and Wilmington in 2002 when we rode out to Haverhill on Amtrak's Downeaster.)

Meal locations have not yet been determined. As a change of pace, if time allows we might visit the food court at Prudential Center, which is walkable from Back Bay Station and is also convenient to the Green Line.

The itinerary may be subject to a slight change in October, as the usual autumn timetable changes will be taking place.

This fest will take place all day Friday and Saturday. As always you can join the fest late or leave us early if you need to do so. If you don't live in the Boston area, to enjoy the entire slate of activities, you will need a hotel room for three nights (Thursday night, November 6th through Sunday morning, November 9th).

Most likely you will want to travel by Amtrak's Acela Express or Northeast Regional towards Boston sometime on Thursday afternoon, and leave Boston on Saturday night or Sunday morning. Note that there are no Acela Expresses late on Saturday, but Northeast Regionals do run at that time.

As we found on last year's Boston trip, the MBTA/MBCR crews are lax in fare collection, so we found ourselves leaving town with tickets we had pre-purchased. I would suggest this time around to simply buy tickets as we go, so that uncollected tickets for one commuter trip may be used for a subsequent trip in the fest. I will soon be posting the transportation costs on my site.

The homepage for this fest is at http://pages.prodigy...tp2008/home.htm . A quick link to the itinerary: http://pages.prodigy...itinbtp2008.htm

Please start e-mailing me to let me know if you will be able to attend Friday, Saturday, or both.

Edited by KevinKorell, 17 September 2008 - 12:44 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

Transit costs page is now up at:

http://pages.prodigy...costbtp2008.htm

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 01:41 PM

A couple of people have suggested that the 7-day LinkPass (sold for $15) may be more economical for those staying in the area for three nights, as trips to and from hotels may bring your total transit costs over fifteen dollars.

I have now added that to the costs page.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users