#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

Well the time is here. Three particiapants are already in Tampa, and one more will be there early this afternoon. The bulk of the group is now assembling at Club Acelas in New York and Philadelphia in advance of our Silver Star trip, and we will be joined along the way by more folks. We'll keep you updated as to our progress, starting Sunday evening.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

Well a quickie update has us in Rocky Mount, NC. running about an hour and a half late at present. The delay was largely thanks to being held in DC for about 15 minutes or so for a late arriving connecting train #195 and then a 39 minute delay just outside of the tunnel under DC thanks to a CSX freight in BIE with a hazmat car in the consist.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:54 PM

Except for Jack, who is 24 hours behind us on the next Silver Star, we are all together in Tampa. We ended up coming into Tampa less than an hour late, so all in all not too bad. The schedule is well padded into Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa. We're cooling our heels right now getting situated into our hotels, and then we meet at 4 PM for our official TECO Line streetcar ride.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

...We're cooling our heels right now getting situated into our hotels, and then we meet at 4 PM for our official TECO Line streetcar ride.

With special emphasis on "cooling". It's a little warm down here. But, it's a little warm at home, too.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

The official ride end to end on TECO was completed today, and we then had dinner together at the Spaghetti Warehouse. Twelve people were together today in hot Tampa. Tomorrow: Onward to Miami!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:05 AM

My short portion of the Fest ended yesterday with the streetcar ride back to downtown Tampa after dinner. The ride on the Silver Star was very pleasant in a comfortable Viewliner with, thankfully, a good air conditioning system. It was nice seeing the group and I hope the rest of the Fest goes well. Now it is off to Tampa Airport and a quick trip back from hot and humid Tampa to hot and humid New Jersey. Then I will wait for the annual tidal wave of post-Fest mileage tally submissions (sorry, Eric: bad choice of words).

#7 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

My short portion of the Fest ended yesterday with the streetcar ride back to downtown Tampa after dinner. The ride on the Silver Star was very pleasant in a comfortable Viewliner with, thankfully, a good air conditioning system. It was nice seeing the group and I hope the rest of the Fest goes well.

Aloha

Was also my pleasure to meet you, since we shared different portions of The NorCal Fest.

Now it is off to Tampa Airport and a quick trip back from hot and humid Tampa to hot and humid New Jersey. Then I will wait for the annual tidal wave of post-Fest mileage tally submissions (sorry, Eric: bad choice of words).

Well A "tidal wave" I won't run up to the hills, but please don't send us a Tsunami :lol: And this time you can include my First Acela mileage

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

Monday report: On Monday we continued south on the Silver Star after our approximately 25 hours in Tampa. Destination: Miami and environs. We had people staying at different hotels in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties, so we got off at various Amtrak stops along the way. Many also rode TriRail to get from the Amtrak stations to their destinations along the same line but not directly served by Amtrak. Train P-643 became the OTOL Fest Sweep Train, as it carried different participants over separate segments of its run.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

Tuesday report: Today we did our business in the Miami area. We rode all of TriRail, MetroRail, and MetroMover. A group of 12 people braved the heat and managed to dodge heavy rain and thunderstorms. It was nice meeting Jason, who lives in Lake Worth and joined us for our entire day of travels. We enjoyed a nice lunch at Steak & Ale in Cypress Creek, and dinner at the Dadeland Mall food court. Now the Miami portion of our Fest is complete, and all that remains is our return north on the Silver Meteor. That starts tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, with us boarding in either Miami, Hollywood, and possibly Deerfield Beach as well.

Edited by KevinKorell, 24 July 2008 - 01:34 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users