#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82606 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

I've added a tentative estimated costs page for the MNY RailFest 2010. I say tentative because like the itinerary, things can change. Or somebody may come up with a better plan than I did. Subway trips are going to be few as they were last year, so that a FunPass would probably not be the best fare instrument for you to purchase. The only official trip will be the one from Brooklyn to Penn Station, stopping at South Ferry on the way. If we go to Jamaica Center for lunch, there's 2 more trips. Three individual trips at $2.25 each is still less than the $8.25 cost of a FunPass. If you are staying in the city or will somehow otherwise be making 4 or more subway trips, then the FunPass is better for you. Remember if you use the Web Ticket method of getting Metro North and Long Island RR tickets, do it well enough in advance so the tickets reach you before the Fest. It appears that for the MNRR trip, an off peak round trip will do, unless anyone plans to leave the group in Bridgeport and take Amtrak. In that case it's an off peak one way to Waterbury, one way Waterbury-Bridgeport, and then whatever rate you get on Amtrak. I have one or two people who have expressed interest in doing this (returning directly to Penn Station or NJ points on Northeast Regional #163), so if enough people want to, we can change things. For the LIRR, I found it would be best to get one way off peak tickets as we go along. Three purchases would be required. The cost of a trip ticketed from Port Jefferson to Hempstead via Jamaica is much less than if you bought each segment separately. (Page removed!) 3/31/11

Edited by KevinKorell, 31 March 2011 - 08:44 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

Wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move it if I messed up. I was buy web tickets for the fest, and I hit a snag on the last leg, since the fare is only $2.41 it won't let you book it. Can we just pay this fare onboard with out incurring a surcharge? Thanks!

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82606 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

Can we just pay this fare onboard with out incurring a surcharge?

All MN stations have TVM's to my knowledge, so they would surcharge you if you try to pay onboard. I haven't looked at WebTicket lately, but is there a way you can lump the purchases into one transaction?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Can we just pay this fare onboard with out incurring a surcharge?

All MN stations have TVM's to my knowledge, so they would surcharge you if you try to pay onboard. I haven't looked at WebTicket lately, but is there a way you can lump the purchases into one transaction?

I was able to it easily on the LIRR Webticket. I couldn't find a way to get 2 different tickets in one MNRR transaction. I guess its not a huge deal just would have liked to have all the legs ordered. I ordered all the other tickets and made my Amtrak reservation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users