#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:37 AM

Here we go with another exciting summer Fest, and trying to determine where we might have lunch & dinner together.  Ignoring for now any meals aboard Amtrak, here are the lunches and dinner at stake  (MMMM, STEAAAAK!):

Wednesday, 7/13

Dependent upon arrival into Seattle.  If we are on time, we will want to have lunch midday, perhaps before we begin our LINK and Streetcar rides.

Dinner in Seattle will be determined.  Mark is considering a few ideas in the area.

Thursday, 7/14

Lunch is aboard the Cascades train.

Dinner in Portland to be determined.   Need a volunteer to coordinate this.

Friday, 7/15

Lunch in Portland will have to be quick so that we can do our transit riding in the morning, and be at Union Station well before the 2:25 PM Coast Starlight departure.  We can determine this later, or play it by ear if we see something along the light rail route.  One suggestion might be Pioneer Place, a downtown shopping mall with a food court on its lower level.  There may be other places along the street throughout downtown.  I am not familiar with the immediate area around Union Station.

Sunday, 7/17

For this full day in Los Angeles, I am still working out our itinerary for the light rail trips.  Where we end up for lunch would be dependent on where we are at that time.  The Expo Line schedule is still not known,  but probably the best place for lunch and a break from riding would be in Santa Monica.   Santa Monica Place is a huge outdoor shopping mecca that has all types of restaurants on its third floor.  Another suggestion is the nearby Santa Monica Pier. Were we to be on the Gold Line around lunchtime, I am told that there is not much at either end of the line (East L.A. or APU/Citrus College) as far as places to eat.

Dinner in Los Angeles to be determined. Need a volunteer to coordinate this.

Penny and Steve have been a tremendous help in the past, so perhaps one of you could take each of the Portland & Los Angeles dinners, and/or work with Mark for Seattle.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

I will be to help with any of the cities. I've been through Portland a few times the last fest and made one or two pilgrimages to.spaghetti factory. Service and quality was uneven so I think I will start elsewhere.

#3 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

I will be to help with any of the cities. I've been through Portland a few times the last fest and made one or two pilgrimages to.spaghetti factory. Service and quality was uneven so I think I will start elsewhere.

I will work on Los Angeles, even though I have not overnighted there since 1974.  I will use the internet to try to find an acceptable group dinner location.

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

Penny, if you would like assistance with lax I will be glad to help. I've visited several times since 2008 which was last time the group was there.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

since 2008 which was last time the group was there

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

I moved discussion thus far about Seattle to its own thread, and also created separate threads for Portland & L.A. so that things are less confusing since we have 3 dinners in question.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Monday, 7/18

Addendum to the parent note here, because now that Solana Beach appears to be our destination on Monday, July 18th, lunch off the train comes into play. I have researched places to eat in the Solana Beach area within a few blocks of the Amtrak/Coaster station. They range from pizza place/pub to healthy foods to sushi to a Subway restaurant. I appended this to my San Diego Rails to Restaurants list, and for now have included addresses as well so you can see where they are relative to the train station. Links to the restaurant websites were provided where available, so you can see what they have to offer.

http://kevinkorell.c...foodsan.htm#sol

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Friday, 7/15

To address Friday lunch in Portland (after rail activities and before boarding the Coast Starlight), besides Pioneer Place (which still requires a short light rail ride to get back to Union Station afterwards) I also found a Subway restaurant about 2 blocks north & west of the station, at NW 9th & Lovejoy at the foot of the Broadway Bridge (we'll see it from the Streetcar).  I would feel more comfortable being near Union Station and knowing I can eat in 20 minutes or even take it to go if we are running late.     If we do decide to do one of the streetcar loops the previous night, then we have more time for lunch. I think for this instance in the interest of wanting to get a quick lunch and not miss the Coast Starlight (assuming it's on time), splitting up to different places would work best. I just wanted to throw the option out there.

There is also HOTLIPS Pizza, which is about the same distance (no more than 2 blocks), and comes well recommended on Yelp! .

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

I saw that pizza place too. I recall being served lunch on the coast starlight as it departed pdx. I had eaten before boarding but ate a second lunch. Was stuffed the rest of the day.

#10 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

Since we are all in sleepers on the coast starlight and will have access to the lounge, will we be able to leave our luggage in the lounge while we travel on streetcar(s) and LRT and go to lunch? Speaking of lunch, if there is time, I  will like to try a brewpub... especially if I do not have to schlep luggage (and I am ok going by myself if no one wants to join me).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users