#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

In New Haven, CT Union Station on a Saturday, you should be able to find a decent meal to eat. Known chains there are Sbarro and Subway, and if you desire coffee/donutes there's Dunkin' Donuts. And that's it. You may have some other places around the New Haven Green, but it's too far of a walk, in fact more of a bus trip to get there. New Haven Union Station listing is here. Perhaps Piotr or Lou could check out to make sure these establishments still exist when you are at NHUS?Sunday, for Stamford, CT Transportation Center, the station does not offer much outside of coffee and donuts., with small snacks available at newstands. You will need to walk several blocks outside to the north and east to reach Stamford Town Center. Once you find it you will see that things have changed since we were there last in 2003. A new segment of the mall was built, complete with larger restaurants belonging to national chains and having easy entry. They in turn provide much easier entry into the rest of the mall, which is a great improvement from 7 years ago. The old food court was completely rebuilt and the vendors changed.And if we don't end up getting steak in New York, consider that there is a Morton's Streakhouse within the UBS complex in Stamford across the street (under I-95) from the Stamford Transportation Center.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:48 PM

Eating in new haven was not one of my better suggestions. I looked on yelp and the area around station and it's a culinary dark hole there. Amazing.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

Eating in new haven was not one of my better suggestions. I looked on yelp and the area around station and it's a culinary dark hole there. Amazing.

True there's nothing near the station, other than a low-income housing project across the street.However as mentioned above, within the station there's Sbarro, Subway, and Dunkin' Donuts.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

Well a 2 course meal then with Dunkin donuts serving desert. If you hear a loud profanity from that area it probably means that I am describing the ignorance and indolence of the Duncan donuts guy for running out of the cinnamon rolls. This has been a common occurrence in Chicago

#5 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

Well a 2 course meal then with Dunkin donuts serving desert. If you hear a loud profanity from that area it probably means that I am describing the ignorance and indolence of the Duncan donuts guy for running out of the cinnamon rolls. This has been a common occurrence in Chicago

Unless of course you are looking for a certain other facility :lol: :lol:

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Well at least Amtrak has bathrooms on the train. In many cases, the bathroom on the train is better than the station.

#7 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:31 AM

Well at least Amtrak has bathrooms on the train. In many cases, the bathroom on the train is better than the station.

New Haven is usually clean.

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:51 AM

Well they did have cinnamon rolls. And the one I had was good!!

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Um, trust me it wasn't. Not as bad as Jamaica that time, but needed attention.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Um, trust me it wasn't. Not as bad as Jamaica that time, but needed attention.

Stamford was much much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users