#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Well today I was obsessed with looking ahead to a potential 2014 Rockies RailFest (assuming everything comes together in Salt Lake City by that summer). I have toyed with that itinerary with the intention of adding FrontRunner South to the mix now that the schedule that takes effect with the kickoff of service next month is known. However, after also adding allowances (with actual travel times yet unknown) for the Airport Green Line that opens in April 2013, the Draper extension of the Blue Line that is supposed to open in late 2013, and the Sugar House Streetcar which is set to debut in late 2013 or early 2014, I had no room to alott time for the entire FrontRunner system, since I found that the entire commuter system needs about five hours (more than half a day). The reason is that both FrontRunner North and South are each about a one-hour trip one way, plus the layovers between trains are fairly long as well on the far ends.

So my conclusion is that by the time we do go, there will be too much to handle in that city in a single day. I therefore added a second full day in SLC, giving us some flexibility and leeway. Essentially it became one day for the FrontRunner (with lunch in the middle in SLC near the station), and the other day reserved only for TRAX LRT and the streetcar. If we end up with idle time, there's always the rationalization that we can sleep late one day or use time for sightseeing, as we did in Vancouver and New Orleans.

On the same Fest is Denver, which has a longer way to go for its FastTracks projects, but enough online now and coming this Spring to make a visit worthwhile. However if we do have more to ride after the West LRT Line is added, a day might be added to Denver as well.

Edited by KevinKorell, 16 November 2012 - 10:49 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users