• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 WICT106

WICT106

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 03:18 PM

Well, here goes. A couple friends and I get together from time to time, and some of them share the interest in trains. My given where I live in Western WI, and where the friends and model RR show location in Milwaukee, I figured why not do something that combines two different aspects of railroading? So, I took the train to Trainfest. It wasn't a real long trip, just something of a day trip both coming and going. I almost missed the train (hard though that would be to imagine for any of my relatives, but true). I got the car parked in Red wing just in time to hear the horn signal of the empire Builder as it approached the station. I was the last passenger to board at Red Wing, and I'm certain that I was the only one to coming running up to the cunductor with ticket in hand. The weather was typically cool, as one might expect for the Northern Midwest in November. This trip, I was fortunate to get a seat on the "river" side of the coach, so I was able to look out the window and see what there was to see :) the train was on-time ad punctual from red Wing all the way to east of La Crosse. At La Crosse, we had so many passengers get on that the announcer manned the PA and told everyone to make room, as the train would be close to if not at full capacity for the remainder of the trip into Milwaukee. East of Tomah, we were delayed by a few freight trains, but by then I had visited the bar, had a libation, and was seated in the diner for lunch, so that didn't bother me. A side note: at least one of the trains had BNSF power on the point, not CP power. That sidetracking resulted in us being about 30 minute behind for the remainder of the trip. Once in Milwaukee, I found the train show to be smaller than it was in years past, with fewer groups setting up layouts for display. However, I was able to get a room at one of the hotels close to the station, which was good. I also was able to get a bite to eat ot the Safe House, which is a unique restaurant that proved to be quite an entertaining experience. B) the ride back the next day proved to be uneventful, with a few comments about how a train that goes past the Miller Brewing HQ, through the Beer City, carried no Miller Brewing products. The dinner on the return trip was good, the crew was cordial and polite, and the train cars were in good condition. Several of us were in the lounge car when a lunar eclipse occured, which was an additional bonus. All in all, not a bad trip. Oh, yeah, the trip took place November 7 - 8, 2003.

Edited by WICT106, 09 November 2003 - 03:19 PM.

Over 20500 miles aboard Amtrak.
"Be bold and courageous. When you look back over your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did." - Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users