NYMA RailFest Weather Forecast

48 replies to this topic

#21 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:05 PM

I am ok with not being part of the discussion. Ill respect the decision but of the group if it is canceled. Safety is a big concern. Just because one person can do something doesnt mean that everyone can or should.

This is being handled intelligently and respectfully imho.

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82692 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:48 AM

Here is a local TV 8-day forecast for Rochester.  Note that at this time they predict that Saturday's high would be 22, and the low would be 10 -- with 80% chance of snow, and that coupled with wind on Sunday morning will make it feel much less than 10 while we would theoretically be making our way from the hotel to the train station.        

https://www.rocheste...st.com/forecast

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82692 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:09 AM

Here is a televised weather forecast for the Springfield, MA area.   Towards the end she does mention the lower temps and unknown amount of snow the area might get.   The long range forecast shows a high of 28 on Sunday, low of 18. But it shows a high of only 10 on Monday, which tells me that Sunday's low of 18 is actually in the wee hours of Sunday (very late Saturday night), and that it will drop while we're presumably in town Sunday night into Monday.

https://www.westernm...ws.com/weather/

Another thing to keep in mind as well is that the Lake Shore Limited crosses the Berkshires, which with their altitude would get more snow than the Pioneer Valley which Springfield is part of.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#24 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:21 AM

I am watching the Today Show now with Al Roker's weather headline "One Two Punch."  It does not look good.

Looking at the weather channel on-line forecast for Rochester and Springfield, lows on Sunday are predicted as 3 and 2 degrees.  Snow Saturday and Sunday in Rochester and Ice to Snow on Sunday in Springfield and Mostly Sunny on Monday in Springfield.

#25 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82692 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

Looking at the weather channel on-line forecast for Rochester and Springfield, lows on Sunday are predicted as 3 and 2 degrees.  Snow Saturday and Sunday in Rochester and Ice to Snow on Sunday in Springfield and Mostly Sunny on Monday in Springfield.

Mostly Sunny may sound nice, but it there will be the aftermath of a snow/ice storm and those Sunday night single digit lows won't have moderated yet at the time we're headed for the train station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#26 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

I'm not familiar with Slack.  Do I download the software?  Any instructions?

#27 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82692 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

We had our chat, and this is the basis of what was decided.

Given the predictions for bad weather over this coming weekend, not only in New York City but in  Rochester, Springfield, and in between, we have decided amongst us to postpone this event for 2 months.   More details forthcoming. 

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#28 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

Kevin will provide details, but to summarize, basically same trains, except for Monday.  Starting in NYC on 3/23/19 and ending in NYC on 3/25/19.

#29 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

Kevin, you handled this with class and consideration for all involved. I wont make the March event. But in the years Ive known you Ive attended at least 20 fest. 19 out of 20 is freaking good in any sport. So keep balling.

#30 bratkinson

bratkinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Looks like I'll be riding alone on Monday...oh well.  I'm still booked on the Meteor NYP to/from FTL starting Monday, so I'm going no matter what.  Being a born & bred Wisconsin boy, snow, ice, sleet, doesn't cause problems for me at all.  I'm an ex snowmobiler as well. 

See y'all in March!

Bruce

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users