#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Yes, believe it or not, we have at least one person already making travel and hotel reservations for this trip. Obviously we are going to have to stay in hotels for 5 nights. For those who choose to travel across the country on the California Zephyr, you'll need reservations for that, most likely in sleeper since it's 3 days/2 nights in each direction. There are also two shorter Amtrak trips within California, and connecting service from the east coast.

Just to sum up what potential reservations you may need to make, here is a synopsis:

Hotels

Only two hotels should be required. One will be in the Bay Area, the other in the Sacramento area.

Bay Area hotels exist in many different areas, most accessible by rail. My Hotel Guide for the Bay Area breaks this down to the city of San Francisco, West Bay (San Mateo Peninsula), South Bay (San Jose area), and East Bay. All hotels should be within a few blocks walk of either Amtrak, BART, Muni, ACE, VTA, or CalTrain stations. You will need a reservation for three nights, starting Monday, July 16th, checking out on Thursday morning, July 19th.

Sacramento area hotels are shown in a different Hotel Guide. These are all in proximity to either the Sacramento Amtrak station or the RT light rail system. You will need reservations for two nights, starting Thursday, July 19th, and checking out on Saturday morning, July 21st.

Amtrak

Those participants taking Amtrak trains across the country will need reservations on the California Zephyr. The westbound trip will depart from Chicago on Saturday, July 14th and arrive in Emeryville, CA on Monday, July 16th. The eastbound trip will depart from Sacramento on Saturday, July 21st and arrive in Chicago on Monday, July 23rd.

For the people coming from the East Coast, we also will be using the Capitol Limited in both directions. You will need the westbound trip leaving Washington, DC on Friday, July 13th, and the eastbound trip leaving Chicago on Monday, July 23rd. To connect with this from other Northeastern cities, you will need to use a Regional train (or Acela for a premium) between those cities and Washington. You would have to leave your origin city on Friday, July 13th to connect in Washington with the Capitol Limited. You also would need a connecting train departing Washington on Tuesday afternoon, July 24 after arriving in Washington on the Capitol Limited.

The shorter Amtrak trips within California will be Capitol Corridor Train #537, from Richmond (RIC) to San Jose (SJC), on Tuesday, July 17th, and San Joaquin Train #703, from Stockton (SKT) -- make sure it's not SKN! -- to Sacramento (SAC) on Thursday, July 19th. Note that Stockton has two Amtrak stations, but we will both be arriving on ACE and departing on Amtrak #703 at the SKT station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

Gee . . . I wonder who that couldd be? :lol: :lol:

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

Well that was in January. By now, the majority of us have joined the bandwagon! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

Well that was in January. By now, the majority of us have joined the bandwagon! :)

Who is playing the big Tuba on the bandwagon? :lol:

#5 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Who is playing the big Tuba on the bandwagon? :lol:

Hopefully I can get him in the Spotlight. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

Well, I wont be playing a tuba, but I will have MyIpod, and if I get speakers, I will probably play some U2, Rolling Stones, or something else. :D

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

Well, I wont be playing a tuba, but I will have MyIpod, and if I get speakers, I will probably play some U2, Rolling Stones, or something else. :D

Thanks for warning your next-door neighbor ahead of time, Steve. :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

phew! I am most fortunately at least one car length away B)

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

phew! I am most fortunately at least one car length away B)

Don't worry Jis, I will be on my best behavior. :D I know that several people in my car know how to open the doors . . . and know where to put somebody off so that there is no evidence. :D :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users