Photo

CTA/Block 37 Loop station on track (Not!)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:26 PM

From Crain's Chicago Business, 6/7/04:

The Federal Highway Administration has informed the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) that its Block 37 intermodal "superstation" project is eligible to apply for a $48-million low-interest loan from the federal government under the Transportation Infrastructure Financing and Innovation Act (TIFIA).

The full story is here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

WMAQ-TV (NBC) Chicago, 2/23/15:

How Chicago Spent $400M On a Subway Superstation to Nowhere

Under the original concept, the "superstation" was to have been the departure point for special trains to Chicago’s airports

Imagine a scenario where you bury a lot of your hard earned money in the yard, and never see it again. Better yet, imagine giving that money to someone else, who buries it with promises of big returns which never happen.

Farfetched?

You’ve already done it.

The site is deep below Chicago’s famous Block 37 between State and Dearborn at Randolph. A decade ago, the Chicago Transit Authority wanted to launch non-stop train service from the Loop to O’Hare and Midway airports. But the closest the service came to reality was the shell of a mass transit "superstation" below Block 37 between the Red and Blue subway lines. The project was shelved, amid mounting costs and questions about funding and the very feasibility of the concept.

Continue here w/video report and photos.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:48 AM

As indicated by the first item in this thread being 11 years old, Block 37 has been an interest for a long time. I thought it was a dead issue by now and I didn't realize that work had begun on this superstation.

I assume the idea was to have a train originate at O'Hare Airport following the Blue Line to the Loop, stop at this station, and then the same train would continue out over the Red Line and then the old connection to the Green/Orange Lines and out the Orange to Midway Airport.   But I agree the station is pointless if they cannot provide express service, which would require a lot of extra money, much more than has already been sunk into improvements on both lines.  There is no way that frequent fast service can be provided to either airport without a third and maybe fourth track to allow these trains to pass the existing locals.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users