#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

I left the Friday Fest Final Four at Wilmington, and stayed at the Doubletree there. Just woke up and am getting ready to head back to the station. My trip will be completed today (Saturday) as I take a Regional 20 minutes to Philly, and then NJT back to Cherry Hill. Once home the work only begins as I will complete and finalize all the documents created for the Fest in what I call Fest Housekeeping. So it will still be a very busy day.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I did not want to drag bags in the heat so I took a cab to union station. Check in was efficient. I commented on the warmness of the lounge. Attendant states that many complained that was too cold. I found a cool spot by the doors and waited for boarding. Boarded about 8:40 for 9 am departure of 2250. I tried the mimosa suggested by the Joes. It was good. For breakfast I had the waffle. That was very good. The attendants were dour and only did what they had to. They were of course more cheerful at nyp when people got off and gave tips. I wasn't playing that game. You want a tip, be decent and friendly the entire trip. 2250 ran ontime the entire trip. I listened to music and looked out the window the whole trip. A great ride. We arrived on track 8 at nyp. FC was in the rear. I took the first escalator I came to and was pleasantly surprised to find the CA at the top of it. My easiest arrival at nyp to date. Better to be lucky than good.

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

After my last rail segment on NJT to Cherry Hill, I made it home in the usual 1 hour 15 minutes. I was on my driveway by 10:40 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

I arrived at the Orlando station around 2 hours 15 minutes late and arrived at home shortly thereafter. Thanks to Joes and Chris, I have become obsessed with getting Amtrak passport stamps. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get a stamp in Jacksonville, even though I was outdoors at the station. Ironically, I was easily able to get stamps at Palatka, DeLand and Winter Park. However, when we were approaching Orlando, the Amtrak app went down. I learned later that Amtrak.com went down. I am very disappointed that I do not have a stamp at my home station. I tried from the balcony of my condo, but apparently, I was too far away. Thanks everyone for making this a very enjoyable fest. Safe travels to those of you still on the rails.

#15 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Well I'm back home after the fest. My original plan was to fly to PIT and then back to NYC to join a friend to ride on to Boston. I also wanted to ride the Vermonter, but I guess those plans are on hold now. I got #80 at ALX hopped the next Yellow Line to DCA. To go 2 stops, it took about 20 minutes or so because we kept pulling forward then stopping. The operator said it was due to a broken circuit on the third rail. So catching my 5:15 departure to PIT was missed. Later I just decided to catch a flight home, because I was told I should start packing. So I hopped a flight home on AA. Turns out I have a little longer in the house then expected, so I could have continued my journey by train. But now I have more days to pack and enjoy my last few days in what I consider my childhood home. Looking forward to the next fest and hope to not miss any connections for once!

#16 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

49 departed nyp 1 hr 20 late because Amtrak needed to switch diners. Of course enemy I heard the announcement I had thoughts of 8400 or diner lite. The boarding was process was not the best experience. Sleeping car passengers were called to the front of the lounge. The usher checked tickets and then walked us over to track 6. We stood there for about 20 minutes before boarding. When we reached the platform I immediately looked for the diner. No 8400 and no diner lite. I was disappointed and relieved at the same time. I was in the 4912 car and had delibrately asked for an even room to be on the river side. The car was reversed and I was on the right side. The attend, George mentioned that the car had been switched around in the yard. I noticed that nobody was in the room across the hall so I asked if I could sit there to view the Hudson. He said ok. Asked if I needed or wanted anything. I asked when it would be possible to purchase a Pepsi from the diner. He said he would just get me one. 20 minutes later he returned with 2 small cans of Pepsi and ice. He got a 20 tip. This one is definitely a great one. The bed was put down when asked. The shower room was neatly arranged with no extra supplies stored in it. And the bed made while I was at breakfast the next morning. The small things add up to a big thing. A great trip. We were called to dinner. This crew was efficient. Food came out quickly as it always does on the LSL. I skipped dessert. I think I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. 49 gradually lost time at Albany and across upstate New York. We left Toledo 2 hours 38 minutes late. Still possible to make connection. If I understand the scanner talk correctly, the engineer stopped the train west of waterloo to copy orders. This was new to me. The dispatcher asked if he had somebody to write the orders, and he said no and that he would stop the train to do so. This only took a minute. But was kind of different. Definitely justified carrying the scanner all week.

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

The connection in Chicago was different. This is my first tine not going home after riding the LSL. The LSL arrive at 12:38 a little less than 3 hours late. I had a craving for bratwurst so I bought one to consume while waiting for 21 to board. At the restaurant I saw somebodies Amtrak ticket sitting in the counter. I looked and saw the person was a coach passenger on 21. I took the ticket to passenger services. As I came out, I saw a lady talking to the police about her lost ticket. I asked her name, and she was the one. So u sent her to get her ticket. I walked into the lounge as the conductor for 21 was coming out. He asked if anybody in line to check in fir the lounge was on 21. I said yes and he scanned the ticket. About 15 minutes later I boarded 21. There were two pvs on the back behind the stl coach. This will make switching in St. Louis interesting tonight.

#18 grounded flyboy

grounded flyboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

I arrived back home safely in southern Illinois late last night. I completed my fest activities last Th night in WAS. I had business in Washington on Fri and was unable to make the run to Fredericksburg. I left WAS on Sunday afternoon on the Cap Limited (29). It was a beautiful evening to meander through the river valleys. Arrived in CHI a few minutes early and had a few hours before my train to southern Illinois. What better way to while away the time than an impromptu points run to Glenview and back. Of course, Grandpa's has great lunches and adult beverages!! I boarded a completely full Illini (#393) to Carbondale at 16:05 and arrived at CDL just a few minutes late. About a 20 minute drive later and I was home. My cat was fine but a very heavy painting and frame had lost its moorings during the 2 weeks and came crashing down on my wine rack. A lot of glasses and bottles in the floor but nothing broken (therefore, no alcohol abuse!). No other surprises in the house so all is well. Thanks to Kevin for organizing the fest... I had a great time! Hope to do it again.

#19 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

The ride on 421 was great. We were held at cus for an hour for a 2:45 late 365. We did not lose any more time until a high wind restriction between Alton. In St. Louis more time was lost switching private cats on and off. The scanner chat was fascinating. I could here the chi-stl crew plotting how they would cause the little rock crew deal with switching the private cars. We left stl abou 1:20 late. In the middle of the night I woke up as we were passing through an intense thunderstorm. The additional slow orders ultimately caused a 3:10 late departure from little rock. After little rock we steadily made up time arriving San Antonio about 1 hour late. 1 ran ontime all the way and was early into El Paso. The obs crew on 21 was excellent. Mike, the sca, and luscious the lsa were outstanding. They were pleasant the entire trip. Food was good too. The sca on 1 was pleasant but not all there. She was friendly but overwhelmed with the job. She responded well when I needed assistance with getting the showered to work, and when I asked for a band aid. The LSA and server in the diner were somewhat arrogant. The waitress told me I didn't need to say pork when I ordered sausage, explaining her procedure. I told her its different on every train and I'm only having one breakfast so she was waiting my time with her directives. She was better after that. El Paso is strange. I rushed to get a taxi and was glad I did. I was told that there were only two taxis in all of El Paso. The airport was pleasant with lots of shops and restaurants. Of course I had to order nachos. Stay with the chain restaurants when in El Paso. United did its job. I got on earlier flights and my luggage made it with me. Flight attendants were curteous.

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

In St. Louis more time was lost switching private cats on and off.

I didn't know they allowed pets!! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users