• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cdetrow

cdetrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

My friends say there's one born every minute, but my wife and I are still planning on taking the Coast Starlight LAX to SEA on 6/28-29. I've kept tabs on the Amtrak site and note that departures from LA have been pretty much on time, generally not more than 3 hours late. Arrivals in Seattle are another story. Since mid-May, the train has never arrived on time, and usually arrives between 11 PM and 3 AM, sometimes later. I look on the delay as bonus time on board, but the arrival time is a problem. Where does one rent a car in Seattle in the middle of the night? All the downtown agencies close at 6. Hertz offers a taxi reimbursement of $20 to Sea-Tac, but how much will it really cost? Any ideas out there? Carl

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:09 AM

Taxi to SeaTac will run about $35 plus tip.

#3 cdetrow

cdetrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

Thanks, Bill. I'm looking forward to it. This trip relies on several modes of transportation from our son's lift to the station to light rail and even ferries in Puget Sound. Most modes are reliable, but some don't run regularly or at all in the off hours. This is our first "real" train trip since one to SLC about 15 years ago. That one was coach, all night, with the family split up throughout the car for part of the trip. One memory that seems to stick is of a malfunctioning door at the end of the car that kept sliding open on side loads to allow the rain to come in from between cars. My wife had a miserable night, getting up frequently to close the door (I was not seated nearby). But true to what we have heard of Amtrack passengers, a very nice lady presented her with a stuffed animal she had made as a reward for her troubles. We anticipate a more first class adventure this time, having booked a roomette. I only recently discovered the Pacific Parlour Car in a trip report online, and am looking forward to it especially. The food sounds good, too. I'll try to post a trip report when we get back. Carl

#4 cdetrow

cdetrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:06 PM

We are back, and the trip lived up to everything we expected (read WONDERFUL). Departure from LAX was 2.5 late due late arrival (4:00 AM) of the previous night's train. We lost only another 2 hours to the 25 MPH speed limits along the way, so arrival in SEA was at an average lateness at about 1 AM. Baggage claim was fairly quick (as good or better than an airline, and nowhere near the walk) and Yellow Cabs were numerous and well organized outside the station. From the AAA book we had selected a motel near SEA-TAC that offered shuttle to the airport, and were comfortably bedded down by 2. Taxi fare was $31.50 + tip. It may seem I'm overly-concerned with schedule, but I'm not. My only worry about the whole trip was the connections in SEA, and they proved to be no problem. In short, it was the best trip to Seattle we have ever made. Very relaxing, outstanding scenery, great train staff and facilities, fine dining, and fascinating traveling companions (more than just "fellow passengers"). If I can get my act together, a more detailed trip report will follow.

#5 San Joaquin Kate

San Joaquin Kate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:history, knitting, gardening

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:25 PM

I am impressed that you enjoyed the Coast Starlight! :) I just traveled from Portland to Martinez on the Coast Starlight and found it utterly chaotic and in some respects downright unpleasant. Traveling first class must make a huge difference. I was in coach--but then I was in coach on the Empire Builder as well and that was fine. All very strange. I am looking forward to reading a more detailed report if you write one! (I'm working on one as well but it's taking me a while to get it done as I was on several routes and I want to do them justice.)

#6 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

I would suspect that the Starlight has suffered from events of the last year. The staff is union, so I expect that jobs are awarded by bids. This means that the most senior people, often the best, get to choose which train that they work. The Starlight has had several outages over the last year, and often runs very late, so if I were an Amtrak employee it likely would be nearly my last choice. The Starlight was once Amtraks premier long distance train, employees wanted to work on it. I doubt that this is the case today.

Edited by ICGsteve, 20 July 2005 - 10:34 PM.

#7 San Joaquin Kate

San Joaquin Kate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:history, knitting, gardening

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

I wondered about the staffing rules, myself. The attendants that I saw on the Coast Starlight all looked very junior and inexperienced, not really up to the task of calming down rowdy children, let alone adults (and judging from what I saw and the staff conversations I overheard, they had both to deal with on that run). By comparison, the attendant on the coach I was in on the Empire Builder said he used to teach high school--and clearly he could settle anyone down with a look! OTOH, the most pleasant dining experience of my whole trip was on the Coast Starlight. :)

#8 cdetrow

cdetrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:36 PM

I wondered about the staffing rules, myself. The attendants that I saw on the Coast Starlight all looked very junior and inexperienced, not really up to the task of calming down rowdy children, let alone adults (and judging from what I saw and the staff conversations I overheard, they had both to deal with on that run). By comparison, the attendant on the coach I was in on the Empire Builder said he used to teach high school--and clearly he could settle anyone down with a look!

OTOH, the most pleasant dining experience of my whole trip was on the Coast Starlight. :)

View Post

The only staff "problem" we noticed was in the Dining Car. The server used the wrong ticket to write up our order, so we were charged for dinner (meals are included for sleeper passengers). The Car Attendant told us that he could not void the ticket and would have to pay for the meal out of his salary. Some of the staff did seem a little on the young side, but many were also older. All were courteous and helpful. (Including the one who asked us to leave, as he should have, because we lingered over coffee into the next seating.)

I walked through coach, and everything seemed calm, although it was still early in the day. The only unruly passenger I observed was a young girl who was sleeping across 2 seats in the observation car, and was resistant when the attendant asked her to leave so a family could sit. (He did say it was her second warning.)

#9 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

The only staff "problem" we noticed was in the Dining Car. The server used the wrong ticket to write up our order, so we were charged for dinner (meals are included for sleeper passengers). The Car Attendant told us that he could not void the ticket and would have to pay for the meal out of his salary.

View Post

Opps. Why does the cynical side of me think the server pocketed your dinner tab. Can't void it? Ha. Out of his pocket: probably right into his pocket.

I hope you got a receipt (an Amtrak requirement) and send it along with a copy of your ticket to Amtrak for reimbursement and to ensure that this "wrong ticket" nonsense is taken care of. There has been a running issue with revenue theft from some of the service staff. This, in my opinion, is just an imaginative variation on the theme.

#10 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:46 PM

"Opps. Why does the cynical side of me think the server pocketed your dinner tab. Can't void it? Ha. Out of his pocket: probably right into his pocket" Pretty bold don't you think? This sort of problem argues for chiefs on each run, people with a good ear and the power to fix problems. Amtrak's cutting out 20% of its staff means that increasingly oversight is lacking. AMtrak must find a way to deal with theft, rudeness, and slackers who open late and close early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users